What's new

Help on which AP is better

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xxx4reggie

New Around Here
Hi guys,
new to the forums so sorry if I ask a stupid question :(

I just got the WDR4300 TP Link and love it. it's downstairs in my office (all the way at the back of the house. signal strength is great downstairs however upstairs all the way to the front its low (around 2 bars instead of 4).

I would like to get a AP set up for it but just dont know which would be ideal. I know there are lots out there but I dont want to spend so much money on something that will only be a AP. my current speeds on the 4300 router are:
5GHz: Up to 450Mbps
2.4GHz: Up to 300Mbps
I'd like to at least min get N speeds of max 300 (even though I probably dont get that). Also I'd like to get something that is easy to set up and not something that causes me to go bald.

I found a deal on this: Linksys 1500RM (refurb for 20 bux plus tax).
Another one: Rosewill RNX-N300RT (RNWB-11001) (26 dollars plus tax
And finally: TRENDnet 300Mbps (TEW-731BR) for 26 dollars plus tax

I just dont know if it can handle AP with easy setup.

Please let me know,

thank you so much for your help

Last edited:
Why not give the ESR600H a try. That's what I recommend.

Take any old/new WiFi router and re-purpose it as an access point (AP)...

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...onvert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point

I've been looking around the house but couldnt find any, plus checked with friends (they couldnt get any either) so that's why I'm thinking of those 3 (in the 20 dollar range).

I went to the link you posted but one thing I dont get is that the last step says to connect one LAN port from router A into LAN port to Router B.
I would like the router that is acting as a AP to be completely free of wires. Is that possible to do? I'm unable to run wires plus want a clean wire free setup upstairs.

thanks for the help!

I would like the router that is acting as a AP to be completely free of wires. Is that possible to do? I'm unable to run wires plus want a clean wire free setup upstairs.

thanks for the help!

Jargon - what you describe above is not an Access Point (AP).

A WiFi client bridge wirelessly connects to your router as if it were, e.g., a laptop. The bridge device has one or more Ethernet ports which connect to PCs or a switch for feeding lots of PCs.

If the PCs must be WiFi and not wired, you'd connect any old re-purposed-as-AP router or a real AP to the bridge's ethernet port to creat a new WiFi coverage bubble.

Client bridges are sometimes marketed as "game adapter".

Otherwise, you can use a WiFi "WDS" (wireless distribution system) product to be a wireless client of your existing router and also create new WiFi coverage. A WDS device is also called a WiFi Repeater or WiFi Range Extender. The big issues with WDS are there's no standard and WDS brand A may not talk to Router brand B. All WDSes halve the througput because it must retransmit and has only one radio (excluding costly pro models).

The best way to add an AP is to connect it to your WiFi router via a pair of HomePlug devices (cat5 wiring replacement) or MoCA which does the same except via existing TV Coax. See the Forum section on these, here.

Hope this helps. I think I've typed this same story 20 times here. There's a FAQ on this topic.

wow thank you everyone for the detailed posts.
i understand what i'll have to do to get this work. I was confused before now it makes a heck of a lot more sense.

Again, thank you :). I love the friendly and expect level help. You guys rock!!!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!