What's new

[Help] Performance Issues QNAP 419P+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bushiedun

New Around Here
Here's what I have:

QNAP 419P+
2x 2TB Western Digital RE4 WD2003FYYS (ext4)
Netgear WNDR 3700
Alienware m11x SU7300 processor (NTFS)

Everything is connected with CAT5e or CAT6 cabling.

Setup Options:
The drives are currently stand-alone (no JBOD or Raid)
I've turned off port trunking
The QNAP has a static IP

I've tried turning Jumbo Frames from 1500 to 9000.

There are only two active services:
Web Server and Multimedia

I'm getting abysmally slow transfer speeds (4 MB to 13 MB max) moving large multimedia files (1 GB to 20 GB) from my computer HDD.

This is far slower than the vaunted 46.8 MB write per second. I'd honestly be content if I could pull greater than USB 2.0.

I have 2 Hitachi Ultrastar 3 TB drives on the way and I wanted to throw it in JBOD or Raid but if I'm already getting this slow of write speeds...

I'd be curious to see what Tim's setup was for when he originally rigged up the 419p+ to achieve that kind of throughput.

I'd be curious to see what Tim's setup was for when he originally rigged up the 419p+ to achieve that kind of throughput.
From the review
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/31403-new-to-the-charts-qnap-ts-419p#
Power consumption measured 36 W with the four 1 TB SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HE103SJ 3.5" SATA drives QNAP loaded into the review sample spinning and a low 16 W with the drives spun down after a programmable idle period.

Try timing a transfer from the computer you have been using to another computer instead of the NAS.

Even Less...

5.5 MB a sec to an HP DV6 with a i5 processor and a 7200 rpm hard drive.

That 3700 should have a 400+ Mbit throughput for an LAN...

That's running two cat 5e cables.

I've been able to determine that the bottleneck is the Alienware m11x.

Writing files to the Hpdv6 from the 419p+ is no problem. I blow right through with 65 MB. At least that narrows things down.

Maybe it's time for a new computer but it's hard to believe that this processor is being taxed that much by the transfer.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 375

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!