What's new

Help please, cannot log in after upgrade to 386.7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AnubisRPG

New Around Here
Hello world.

I just upgraded my AC5300 to 386.7. Firmware upgrade went smoothly but now the router is not accepting my login. Help?

I too have this problem. My old password stopped working in my RT-AC68U's web console after I attempted to update the firmware version from 384.19 to 386.7. The upgrade didn't work, and the password was reset. To what, I do not know.

I still have SSH access, because I use public key authentication for SSH. I could login via SSH and change my password using `chpasswd`.

You can't reach the web gui to enter user and password or your old password doesn't work?
my login information is not being accepted. router says wrong password.

If it's can't enter web gui, Try clearing browser cache then one of these:

router.asus.com

no, the router ip has not changed.

I too have this problem. My old password stopped working in my RT-AC68U's web console after I attempted to update the firmware version from 384.19 to 386.7. The upgrade didn't work, and the password was reset. To what, I do not know.

I still have SSH access, because I use public key authentication for SSH. I could login via SSH and change my password using `chpasswd`.

no access via ssh.

I guess try the default admin / admin combo, and if that doesn't work perform a factory reset.

ps. damn the above beat me to it :)

long shot, different device and/or browser? or the app?

Could it be a matter of the password being truncated to no spaces or less than so many characters?

OE

don't copy and paste them, type manually.

Hm, I went through firmware upgrade today without issues. From 386.5_2 to 386.7, on RT-AC86U.

Factory reset seems to be in your near future. :)

The OP upgraded to 386.7 from what? From stock/OEM or a prior Merlin version? If it's the latter, from what specific version (the greater the jump, the more problematic)? That could be the difference in why it works for some and NOT others.

That was a fairly major jump in version (nearly two years, and a major revision jump). The password is now encrypted for improved security, something particular about your password may have caused a problem when it attempted to automatically encrypt the old password.

The OP upgraded to 386.7 from what? From stock/OEM or a prior Merlin version? If it's the latter, from what specific version (the greater the jump, the more problematic)? That could be the difference in why it works for some and NOT others.

upgraded from 386.5_2

Hm, I went through firmware upgrade today without issues. From 386.5_2 to 386.7, on RT-AC86U.

Factory reset seems to be in your near future. :)
that's what I did. it rebooted to not accepting my creds.

don't copy and paste them, type manually.
done and done.

That was a fairly major jump in version (nearly two years, and a major revision jump). The password is now encrypted for improved security, something particular about your password may have caused a problem when it attempted to automatically encrypt the old password.

Password had no special characters. no big deal, I'll reset it (after I find out how) one of these night when the folks are asleep. I have a recent settings backup but I'll keep it simple.

If there's a genuine issue with passwords, this can probably be reproduced.
E.g.,
1. Revert to 386.5_2.
2. Set the password as it were before the upgrade.
3. Perform an upgrade to 386.7.
4. Try to log in.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!