What's new

[HELP] Properly backing up a QNAP TS-639

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

avvidme

Occasional Visitor
I have a QNAP TS-639 as my main file server, Windows server as a backup. Basically I'm trying to do a disk to disk backup with full features such as incremental.
I've tried a few different pieces of software including Backup Exec 12.5, and Incremental or "file date change" method of backup both don't work properly - either way a FULL backup always happens.

1) Seems like both date based and archive bit doesn't work (Yes, I have full access) - any solutions?
2) There a possibility to install BE agent on Qnap?
3) Is there other software that will work? (No, I don't want to use Rsync because again I need incremental)
4) Any other options?

I'm REALLY hoping to solve this, otherwise the Windows server will become my main with the QNAP as the backup drive (which I don't want).

Any help is appreciated!

I backup my 509 to another 509 using the Replicator feature (Rsync) and it does do incremental.

avvidme,

I am not sure why you are finding that a full backup always happens. That is not my experience – perhaps you can explain why this is:confused:?

I use a combination of Retrospect Professional to back up the NAS user files to external Firewire drives attached to a PC and Rsync & DeltaCopy for archival files from the NAS to the PC / Firewire drives (I also use Rsync & DeltaCopy to backup .pst files from networked PCs to the NAS on a daily basis).

Retrospect runs on the PC and creates a “snapshot” of the file storage state (probably using file date information) - it is set up to back up incrementally (changed & new files) on a scheduled basis but I can recover a full backup (it identifies the files required from the snapshot) when needed.

I use Rsync for files that are archival, such as movies, which don’t change (but new files may be added). These are stored on the NAS to make them available for sharing easily (the PC Firewire drives do not need to be powered on).

Works for me – might work for you too:D.

I don't have another QNAP, I have a Windows server.

As for Retrospec, I'll give that a try. I have no idea why Backup Exec is always doing full. But like I said, doesn't matter if I do date based or archive bit - just seems to ignore it. Almost like if it doesn't have a BE agent, some of the features aren't available.

I'll let you know if Retro fixed this.
Thanks
J

Is it not possible to Rsync from a Qnap NAS to windows server? Isn't it just a matter of setting up shares correctly?

If I can ever get rsync to finish a session properly, yes. Unfortunately I'm still troubleshooting what its failing on as well.

If I can ever get rsync to finish a session properly, yes. Unfortunately I'm still troubleshooting what its failing on as well.

I know the feeling. Took me seemingly forever to get my two 509's r'syncing properly. Had to create separate jobs for each individual share that I needed to backup and since then I have not had a single error or failed sync (knock on wood).

Alright! I just got my 509 backing up (and sleeping better now). I also changed my RAID to a 5 as I do not need the up-time of RAID 6, and with backups of everything I can withstand some downtime.

I am using FreeNAS 6.7 as a backup target (rsync) in an old computer packed full of old hard drives (software raid), and one new TB drive.

The scheduling works well (everything is scheduled on the QNAP), and I have it doing incremental backups; eventually I will leverage the FreeNAS box to make compressed encrypted backups to another FreeNAS virtual machine for offsite backups.

A few notes on using FreeNAS as a backup target for a QNAP -
When setting up the job on the QNAP, the "destination" path is the shared name that you give the RSYNC server in the FreeNAS configuration. You can then use the second box to create a sub directory unique to that backup job.

Currently I have a job setup for each of my root directories on the QNAP to backup to my FreeNAS box in a sub directory that matches the original share name ... ie my "videos" folder on the QNAP is rsynched to the freenas "QNAP/Videos" folder.

So far everything is going well, except I have found that my old AMD 2100 CPU (My best and longest lasting computer ever) is absolutely maxed out at 100Mb/s so I may have to upgrade the processor to get faster backup speeds. Maybe a TOE network card would help ... I'll try that as well.

Eventually I will run the FreeNAS as a virtual machine once I build my new i7 monster computer, so I wont have to decide the payback period of a 150W FreeNAS server vs another Qnap.

Backing up a QNAP

Good feedback on the FreeNAS Rsync. If I didn't need a domain controller, I'd be doing the same. I'm STILL waiting for QNAP's response on this (maybe you guys can help).

/etc/rsyncd.conf file now has "log file = /path/logfile.txt" But the only thing generated in the log is: "2009/02/28 08:31:44 [8775] rsyncd version 3.0.4 starting, listening on port 873". That's it. No further information, or information on the file it fails on.

The sync runs for hours, and HAS sync'd a lot of files - unfortunately not sure which ones it didn't catch. Anything further I need to know about log generation?

Also, when it fails - does the process stop? Or does it continue with the remainder of the files?

Cheers

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!