What's new

Help Required AC68U (TM-AC1900) troubleshooting after power outage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

simbin

New Around Here
I'm having some trouble with my AC68U router (T-Mobile CellSpot TM-AC1900 converted) after a power outage. It's showing some blue lights but lacks LAN and WiFi connectivity, with the ASUS light on the back remaining off despite the power adapter testing close to 19V. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Some other info that might be useful (off the top of my head)
  • Downgraded to flash ASUS AiMesh firmware
  • then Merlin; version was from about 2 yrs ago
  • some commands were issued to prevent rollback

Edit: Just a quick follow-up: swapping the power adapter didn't help. Powering on with the WPS/reset buttons did nothing. Only the LAN/WAN and USB 2.0 lights stay on—nothing else. I may take it apart and look for any visible damage or attempt a serial connection. In the meantime, everything is humming along smoothly with my replacement.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Note that you may not get much help from some here on that router due to it not being official supported by Asus-Merlin firmware.

If or when all else fails, perform a hard factory reset and see if anything changes.

A note: RMerlin's commentary about the TM-AC1900:
After discussing it with @thiggins, we agreed that at this point, considering this device has long been EOL, it was time to drop this rule. If people can find ways to avoid TM-AC1900 from ending up as e-waste, then it's a Good Thing, and as this is an 8 years old device, I doubt either T-Mobile or Asus would complain.

That being said, one thing stays unchanged: that device is NOT support by Asuswrt-Merlin, and anyone trying to get things to work on it is entirely on their own, as I won't waste my time (or the community's time) trying to help people figure out issues that are caused by Asus's undisclosed protection measures they might have in place.

Welcome to the forum. Note that you may not get much help from some here on that router due to it not being official supported by Asus-Merlin firmware.

If or when all else fails, perform a hard factory reset and see if anything changes.

A note: RMerlin's commentary about the TM-AC1900:

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered a replacement. I'm going to swap its power adapter first thing, just to rule that out. Out of curiosity, are there any newer $20 (Merlin supported) routers, that are solid like the AC68U? That thing has been an abolute tank for 2+ yrs!! only going down when the power cuts out.

Last edited:
are there any newer $20 (Merlin supported) routers, that are solid like the AC68U?
Quality router for $20? Not likely. The TM-AC1900 was a special case due to the need to jail break the router to use the RT-AC68U firmware. The Asus AC series of routers are apparently all End of Life by Asus, and the Asus-Merlin developer has indicated that support for Asus AC series routers will likely end by the end of this year.