What's new

No Rescue Mode (Semi Solved)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

noobsnet

New Around Here
Hello all,
I've been working on trying to update my TM-AC1900 router to the latest Merlin for hours now with much frustration. I also woke up to another issue but more on that after a little back story.

I bought this router a couple of months ago and have already flashed it to Merlin 380.68_4. Everything went smoothly and I had no issues with the instructions. The router had been working great, except for some WiFi range issues. I was still getting good speeds, so it did not bother me much.

This morning I woke up to devices not having WiFi connections. I check my phone and see ASUS and ASUS 5G networks available, so I figured my router reset. I have no idea why this happened. I have been searching all day and found threads saying it has something to do with the NVRAM but only if there were 50+ devices. I may have at most 15 or 16 devices connected but only maybe 6 or 7 at one time.

So I am able to log in to the router with the default login. The router is still on 380.68_4 with all settings reset. I see a notification that 380.69 is available to update so I think why not, I have to redo all my settings anyways.

Here's the big problem. I cannot get the router into Rescue mode. I have tried what I feel like is everything from 30/30/30, unplug and hold reset and plug back in, different combinations of WPS button and reset or just WPS button. Tried clearing NVRAM, power cycling, WPS/Reset/WiFi button combinations, holding reset after plugging in anywhere from 10 seconds to 3 minutes (ow my finger). Anyways I'm hoping someone can help me, I will attach the syslog to the post if that helps. I attached as a PDF because I couldn't get the txt file to attach. Sorry let me know if there is a better way.

Thank you!

Update: Ok some progress. I got the router to bring up the CFE miniWeb Server by holding the reset button while it was powered off and then with my other hand have the browser open to 192.168.1.1 and kept refreshing the page while I turned it on with the reset button held. When the page came up I let go of the reset button. However the connection times out before I can upload the new firmware. Any suggestions?

Update 2: I got it to stay on the page by holding the reset button longer. I guess I wasn't holding it long enough. However the light still isn't flashing on the router so the CFE miniWeb Server page reports the firmware file as not a valid file. Also the restoration tool reports the router as not in rescue mode still as well.

Final Update: If it helps anybody Googling in the future, I ended up using WinSCP and PuTTY to just SSH into the router to manually flash the firmware. Guess I should have done that all along. My best guess is my newer boot loader is what was giving me trouble going into Rescue mode. I still have no idea why the router crashed and lost its settings.

Thank you.

Attachments

• syslog.pdf
    28 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
Why are you trying to use rescue mode? To go from 380.68_4 to 380.69 you just use the web interface.

BTW 30/30/30 doesn't do anything on asuswrt, it's a DD-WRT thing.

Oh I didn't know about 30/30/30 I was just trying whatever I could.

I get an error with the web interface that says "Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again"

I downloaded the ac68u version from sourceforge linked from RMerlin's website.

Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Last edited:
Ok some progress. I got the router to bring up the CFE miniWeb Server by holding the reset button while it was powered off and then with my other hand have the browser open to 192.168.1.1 and kept refreshing the page while I turned it on with the reset button held. When the page came up I let go of the reset button. However the connection times out before I can upload the new firmware. Any suggestions?

Update 2: I got it to stay on the page by holding the reset button longer. I guess I wasn't holding it long enough. However the light still isn't flashing on the router so the CFE miniWeb Server page reports the firmware file as not a valid file. Also the restoration tool reports the router as not in rescue mode still as well.

Thank you

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!