What's new

[Help] RT-AC86U cannot connect to web UI nor from App

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

edmondss

New Around Here
Only used the modem for like 2 years. On ASUS official firmware, but often have the problem of failed to connect to ASUS web UI setting page (Not even able to load anything asking you for username and password). This has happened like since a year but getting more frequent recently (like once or twice a week at lease now). When this happen, I won't be able to connect with the router from the iOS app as well. The only thing I can do is to go and manually reboot the router and it will work as normal for god knows how many days before it fails again.

Everything else seems to be normal when I can't access the web UI page. Even the download master web page CAN be loaded, and I can still access the files inside the USB connected to the router.

Anyone experiences this too? It's very annoying. Thanks.

Are you using HTTP or HTTPS ?
HTTP

I never change the way how to login from chrome, and when I couldn't load the web UI from browser, I cannot connect with the router from the iOS app too. So I suppose it's not an issue related to browser, if I am not wrong.

I cannot connect with the router from the iOS app too

Just some questions to rule out some possible causes...
  1. Are you attempting to log into your router by with WiFi? And if so, are you trying to connect with 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz?
  2. Can you connect to your router with ethernet cable?
  3. Are you assigning any static IP addresses in your Router or are you connecting by DHCP?
  4. Do you have any MAC address filtering in your Router?
  5. Do you allow your MAC iOS to randomize its MAC address?
  6. What is your router's DHCP "Lease time" set to (default is 86400 seconds or 1 day)?
  7. When not used, do you turn off your MAC iOS device or put it to sleep?
  8. Are you using any VPN clients on your MAC iOS device.
  9. How is your DNS set up? Are you using your ISP's DNS or something else.
  10. What is the Router's model number and what is the Firm ware version?
  11. Is your USB attached device operating on USB3 or USB2? Is the device an external HDD or SSD?

Last edited:
Just some questions to rule out some possible causes...
  1. Are you attempting to log into your router by with WiFi? And if so, are you trying to connect with 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz?
  2. Can you connect to your router with ethernet cable?
  3. Are you assigning any static IP addresses in your Router or are you connecting by DHCP?
  4. Do you have any MAC address filtering in your Router?
  5. Do you allow your MAC iOS to randomize its MAC address?
  6. What is your router's DHCP "Lease time" set to (default is 86400 seconds or 1 day)?
  7. When not used, do you turn off your MAC iOS device or put it to sleep?
  8. Are you using any VPN clients on your MAC iOS device.
  9. How is your DNS set up? Are you using your ISP's DNS or something else.
  10. What is the Router's model number and what is the Firm ware version?
  11. Is your USB attached device operating on USB3 or USB2? Is the device an external HDD or SSD?
1. Yes wifi, 5Ghz
2. I didn't try because if i have to go to the router, normally I just reboot it.
3. DHCP
4. NO.
5. Not sure what this is but should be no. (how to check?)
6. 86400
7. Sorry not too sure about this too. how to check?
8. NO.
9. Using google one
10. RT-AC86U, latest ASUS firmware 386.51255
11. attached to USB 3. It's an external HDD

Thanks.

5. Not sure what this is but should be no. (how to check?)
Newer iOS and Windows devices allow the MAC address of the device to change or randomize when a connection is established. It is considered a security feature. But will create problems when trying to connect to a router that is using MAC filtering for that same device. Since you are not using any MAC filtering in your Router, this should not be an issue.

So, what is happening here is that all your DHCP devices are being assigned a new IP address (theoretically), once every 86400 seconds (once a day). This is normally okay but can causes issues on devices like printer. For example, if on day-1 your iOS device knows the IP address of your printer, and then your iOS or printer goes to sleep. On day-2, your iOS device may not know where your printer lives (its new IP address). In other words, when devices go to sleep and the DHCP lease time expires, when a device wakes up, it gets a different IP. But it doesn't know what new IPs have been assigned to other devices until a network refresh (re-boot).

It is unlikely this is your issue.

7. Sorry not too sure about this too. how to check?
See explanation above.
Please perform this test. Next time you have an issue connecting to your router, re-boot your iOS device and try again. This test will help isolate the issue - router or iOS device.

10. RT-AC86U, latest ASUS firmware 386.51255
Many threads discussing problems about this router in this forum. I suggest you search for some of them. But generally, this should not cause a connection issue to your router.

11. attached to USB 3. It's an external HDD
Ahhh. Others in this forum have reported that USB3 connected devices cause 5Ghz WiFi interference. This is a known issue. I am not sure if this interference is related to AC protocols.

To confirm this is your issue, try connecting with an ethernet cable. If the problem goes away, then there are some things you can do:
  1. Change your WiFi channel
  2. Change to 2.4Ghz

@edmondss If I remember correctly, the default router IP address for your RT-AC86U is 192.168.1.1. Are you trying to access your router with this IP address or are you trying with router.asus.com?

I don't think this will matter much in your case, but just want to be sure.

RT-AC86U defaults to 192.168.50.1

@edmondss If I remember correctly, the default router IP address for your RT-AC86U is 192.168.1.1. Are you trying to access your router with this IP address or are you trying with router.asus.com?

I don't think this will matter much in your case, but just want to be sure.

Yes the default is 192.168.1.1 but I normally bookmarked and go to router.asus.com. Next time it happens again I will try also 192.168.1.1 (I might have tried it before though)

However, I don't know which way is the mobile app using, and it won't work either.

Newer iOS and Windows devices allow the MAC address of the device to change or randomize when a connection is established. It is considered a security feature. But will create problems when trying to connect to a router that is using MAC filtering for that same device. Since you are not using any MAC filtering in your Router, this should not be an issue.

So, what is happening here is that all your DHCP devices are being assigned a new IP address (theoretically), once every 86400 seconds (once a day). This is normally okay but can causes issues on devices like printer. For example, if on day-1 your iOS device knows the IP address of your printer, and then your iOS or printer goes to sleep. On day-2, your iOS device may not know where your printer lives (its new IP address). In other words, when devices go to sleep and the DHCP lease time expires, when a device wakes up, it gets a different IP. But it doesn't know what new IPs have been assigned to other devices until a network refresh (re-boot).

It is unlikely this is your issue.

See explanation above.
Please perform this test. Next time you have an issue connecting to your router, re-boot your iOS device and try again. This test will help isolate the issue - router or iOS device.

Many threads discussing problems about this router in this forum. I suggest you search for some of them. But generally, this should not cause a connection issue to your router.

Ahhh. Others in this forum have reported that USB3 connected devices cause 5Ghz WiFi interference. This is a known issue. I am not sure if this interference is related to AC protocols.

To confirm this is your issue, try connecting with an ethernet cable. If the problem goes away, then there are some things you can do:
  1. Change your WiFi channel
  2. Change to 2.4Ghz
7. OK will try next time rebooting the iOS device first
10. This firmware was only released earlier this month. I had this problem with different versions of firmware in the past so it seems that it is unlikely related to one particular version.
11. Do you mean if this happens again, i should test first if I can access the settings page via Lan? But if it's really 5Ghz problem, will it just affect me accessing the router.asus.com but nothing else?

11. Do you mean if this happens again, i should test first if I can access the settings page via Lan? But if it's really 5Ghz problem, will it just affect me accessing the router.asus.com but nothing else?
YES, if it happens again. This test will help confirm that your issues are related to 5Ghz. By connecting with an ethernet cable, you will be ruling out an issue with the router GUI itself or something to do with your FW/general-settings. Assuming you have no problem when connected by ethernet cable, we can begin to focus on testing some settings on your 5Ghz connection.

This process of trouble-shooting attempts to isolate the issue to more specific router functions. So, we need to rule-out some possibilities so we can focus on what remains.

Yes the default is 192.168.1.1 but I normally bookmarked and go to router.asus.com. Next time it happens again I will try also 192.168.1.1 (I might have tried it before though)

However, I don't know which way is the mobile app using, and it won't work either.
FWIW, I too have had problems logging into my router's GUI. But my issues are more related to my browser and setting my router to https only.

My browser wants to only accept https (it is a security setting in most browsers). So my browser throws an error page when I try to connect to the router IP or http://router.asus.com:8443. It is not unusual that I have to make several attempts to get past my browser security settings because I don't have a SSL cert - can't for an IP address.

As a test, you can check your browser to see if it is set up to accept https only. If it is, disable that feature to accept http or https. BUT, you may need to close your browser and re-open it for settings to take affect. Then try accessing your router gain.

Edit1: you said that your router is set to accept http (not https only). So, if your browser will accept http addresses (whether 192.168.1.1, or http://router.asus.com), you should be okay. Your browser may still show a warning page, but you should be able to "proceed" to the router's http web page for login.

Last edited:
RT-AC86U defaults to 192.168.50.1
Maybe it was already answered, but I would like to know why did the address change from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.50.1.

My first Asus Router was the RT-AC87U. Now I have the RT-AX86U and noticed the difference. Is there some kind of security reason behind it ?

Maybe it was already answered, but I would like to know why did the address change from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.50.1.

My first Asus Router was the RT-AC87U. Now I have the RT-AX86U and noticed the difference. Is there some kind of security reason behind it ?
You'd have to ask Asus for a definitive answer. My guess is that it's because 192.168.1.1 (and 192.168.0.1) is used as the default by so many manufacturers it's easy for users to get confused or create network conflicts. By using a different address they probably make customer service easier. There's no security advantage to using a different address (I always change mine back to 192.168.1.1).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!