What's new

Help to setup a network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paperoga

New Around Here
I am trying to setup a new network in our small town but I am not sure what is best.
Our town hall has a internet connection and the main router is a netcomm NF18ACV.
We would like to setup a couple of rooms with 50 computers each for elderly and youths to have access to computers.
Everything will be wired, wireless is restricted to very few people (i think i will make a white list of MACs)
I will have to split (is it called segmentation?) the network for some sort of security and easier management.
Here is what we have:
Main router is a Netcomm NF18ACV
we have:
2x HP switches 2510G-24
3x Nortel switches Baystack 5510-48T
1x Netcomm router NF8AC
1x Linksys router WRT 1200AC
My original idea was to have L3 routers and create subnets where the routers will handle the hosts but it looks like these switches are only L2.
So now I am not sure on what to do. Will our main router able to cope with about 200 machines connected to it? Will using these switches easy the burden on the router?
About 50 machines will have a static IP address so i think i need to run a server handling the DHCP and static IP
I am happy to help our community but my knowledge on setting up such a network is a tad above my current skills. I can work on linux (ubuntu/debian) and i know a bit about networking.
What I am thinking is something on these lines:
<main router>
<hp switch>
[some computers]
[second router] ---> Nortel switch [40x computers]
---> Nortel switch [40x computers]

on the second router i will run a PC with ubuntu 20 server and DHCP to handle the 80+ pc connected to the nortel switches
Will it work or I need a totally different approach? The town has some fundings but limited and if I can make it happen with what we got would be a bonus

I am trying to setup a new network in our small town but I am not sure what is best.
Our town hall has a internet connection and the main router is a netcomm NF18ACV.
We would like to setup a couple of rooms with 50 computers each for elderly and youths to have access to computers.
Everything will be wired, wireless is restricted to very few people (i think i will make a white list of MACs)
I will have to split (is it called segmentation?) the network for some sort of security and easier management.
Here is what we have:
Main router is a Netcomm NF18ACV
we have:
2x HP switches 2510G-24
3x Nortel switches Baystack 5510-48T
1x Netcomm router NF8AC
1x Linksys router WRT 1200AC
My original idea was to have L3 routers and create subnets where the routers will handle the hosts but it looks like these switches are only L2.
So now I am not sure on what to do. Will our main router able to cope with about 200 machines connected to it? Will using these switches easy the burden on the router?
About 50 machines will have a static IP address so i think i need to run a server handling the DHCP and static IP
I am happy to help our community but my knowledge on setting up such a network is a tad above my current skills. I can work on linux (ubuntu/debian) and i know a bit about networking.
What I am thinking is something on these lines:
<main router>
<hp switch>
[some computers]
---> Nortel switch [40x computers]

on the second router i will run a PC with ubuntu 20 server and DHCP to handle the 80+ pc connected to the nortel switches
Will it work or I need a totally different approach? The town has some fundings but limited and if I can make it happen with what we got would be a bonus
1. 'Will our main router able to cope with about 200 machines connected to it? ': No. You need not a consumer grade router but a business router.
You can't handle your network with consumer grade ASUS or Netgear routers.
2. 'Will using these switches easy the burden on the router?' : No.
'<main router>
<hp switch>
[some computers]
---> Nortel switch [40x computers]'
: not a good networking.
4. I need a totally different approach?: yes

Recommendation: contact CISCO, Netgear or network consulting companies.
e.g. you need a Dedicated QoS Switch for that kind of network.
Wired system:
1. A business Router> a Dedicated QoS Switch > other switches > PCs
1. A firewall> A business Router> a Dedicated QoS Switch > other switches > PCs
Wireless system: APs.

Last edited:
Thank you Follower, yeah I thought may approach wasn't correct and you confirmed it!
Also I spoke to the people and they agreed that maybe we have to invest on a good router.
Another question, mainly for my knowledge:
The Nortel routers we got are Baystack 5510-48T. Were previously used in a school and they are enterprise equipment, so are the 2 HP. I think I can use them yes?
From what I read they are only L2 and not L3. Correct?
And, when I have let's say 20 computers on switch 1 and 20 computers on switch 2, the switches are plugged on a router, what does the router see? 40 users (each PC) or only 2 users?
This is where i get confused. If the router has DHCP and has to "manage" all computers is one thing.... but if I have a server handling dhcp and managing the network, will the router only see the 2 switches? Do I make sense?

Thank you Follower, yeah I thought may approach wasn't correct and you confirmed it!
Also I spoke to the people and they agreed that maybe we have to invest on a good router.
Another question, mainly for my knowledge:
The Nortel routers we got are Baystack 5510-48T. Were previously used in a school and they are enterprise equipment, so are the 2 HP. I think I can use them yes?
From what I read they are only L2 and not L3. Correct?
And, when I have let's say 20 computers on switch 1 and 20 computers on switch 2, the switches are plugged on a router, what does the router see? 40 users (each PC) or only 2 users?
This is where i get confused. If the router has DHCP and has to "manage" all computers is one thing.... but if I have a server handling dhcp and managing the network, will the router only see the 2 switches? Do I make sense?
1. 'I think I can use them yes?': Yes. But buy new switches.
2. ' L2 and not L3': Yes.
3. 'what does the router see?': 40.
4. 'will the router only see the 2 switches?' : It depends on your setup.

So I recommend you contact CISCO, Netgear or network consulting companies.
Order.
1. Budget draw up.
2. Choose brands.
3. Choose proper devices.
4. Buy.
5. Setup.

If you connecting a lot wired devices then use a L3 switch at the core. I think Cisco has the best small business L3 switches. If you go enterprise level then there are other vendors but the cost is very high. I still would use Cisco.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!