What's new

Help wanted selecting a reliable router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ecktt

Occasional Visitor
I've had bad luck with routers, having to replace them every 1-2 years and Linksys has been the worst of the brands. That said, I'm looking for a reliable wifi router. One that will last more than 3 years (hopefully more), NOT have to reboot frequently (hopefully never) and not drop the connection with the cable modem.

What I have:
Relatively slow 20Mb cable connection but considering dropping it to 10Mb since the ISP throttle heavily making high speed internet almost pointless.
3 PCs and a file/media server (PC with a RAID card) connected via cat5e
9 802.11n wifi devices (mobile phones, printers, laptops, tv, etc)

What I want:
4 Gigbit LAN ports
25m radius Wifi range for 802.11n through up to 3 concrete walls/floor
Available from e-taliers who accept international CC (not necessarily ship) such as Amazon or Frys.

Optional features I would like but are not a deal breaker:
802.11ac
Access to channels above 11
dd-wrt support
tomato support
under $100usd

Please post suggestions with pro and cons esp if you have extended personal experience with the product.

You have had bad luck. Or incorrect diagnoses.

Have you read the router reviews here?

A $50 802.11n WiFi router would be a good choice for simple. Wait for 11ac.
Linksys, Belkin, maybe TP-link. Personally, I'd avoid D-Link and Netgear.
With your history, I'd avoid firmware replacement with Tomato et al.

Suggest you get a $20 gigabit ethernet switch and plug all things gigE into it, and the switch to the router.

Yes, I've read the reviews and used the ranker but none of them have a durability rating, hence the reason I'm asking for advice based on
extended personal experience with the product

I'd love it if a $50 router would work.

ddwrt did extend the life of an old WRT310N Linksys I had. It had a periodic reboot function that was set for daily at 3am. That gave me the illusion of a working router for a few more months.

I'm currently looking at the Edimax BR-6478AC but some Amazon reviews say it drops the connection with the modem.

I saw you mention in another thread that more than a router can't cover 4800 sqft. I'm trying to cover 10000 (100ft x 100ft) with 50ft x 100ft being an uncovered back yard.

I saw you mention in another thread that more than a router can't cover 4800 sqft. I'm trying to cover 10000 (100ft x 100ft) with 50ft x 100ft being an uncovered back yard.

Depending on the shape of the area that you're trying to cover, and the structural characteristics of the house itself, you may well consider using one or two wired wireless Access Points (AP's), in addtion to a main router. That is a lot of area to cover with one router...I'd predict that you're not going to manage it with one router. A wireless AP doesn't have to be an expensive router, since you're not asking it to do routing or DHCP, etc., just wireless. So you can use some old router(s) that you might have around, assuming you don't end up trying to get wireless-ac coverage all over your area.

Anyways, you're asking the right questions, and the information about covering your whole outside area is helpful as well.

Hi,
Catch here is 25m radius coverage with upto 3 concrete walls! Pretty tough or impossible
with one router...., IMO.

Added AP - the ASUS RT-N12D1 that was suggested above can be configured as WiFi router, Access Point or bridge.

So I'm guess I might need 4 ASUS RT-N12D1. 1 acting as a router, 1 at opposite ends of the house and 1 in the porch to cover the backyard, to form something looking like a "T".

Last edited:
So I'm guess I might need 4 ASUS RT-N12D1. 1 acting as a router, 1 at opposite ends of the house and 1 in the porch to cover the backyard, to form something looking like a "T".
We'd estimate given a floor plan drawing of walls. And info on #floors, is there a basement, etc.

Key issue is if there is Cat5 to these locations, or you can add such, or we have to kludge an alternative from PowerLine or MoCA.

My home setup, don't laugh, and it's been in place for over 7 years is an SMC 7008ABR wired rack mounted router and a linksys wap54G, the whole setup is in the cellar in a wall rack, it covers 3 floors and about 25 feet around the house. Those 7008 series were tanks. I think the secret to it's longevity is that it has always been plugged into a UPS as has the access point, that UPS gets replaced every three years. Now that I've said it it will probably tank sometime this week. If so I will probably replace it with a wrt1900.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online