What's new

Help with a decision

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DrR0Ck

New Around Here
Hi everyone. Thanks for all of the great content on this site.

I need some help deciding what my best option would be for my networking situation.

I'm currently running a wireless G network in my condo. Running ethernet is not an option. I have two aging linksys WRT54g/gl routers running tomato firmware. One is the router/wireless AP, and the other is being used in bridge mode connected to a Tivo, PS#, Xbox and Xbox360 (about 15 feet and 2 walls away). We have a PC wired to the router, a wireless G tivo in another room and access the wireless with laptops.

I'm finding the wireless at the condo is getting pretty crowded, and I'm also having issues with the bridge requiring frequent resets and sometimes unable to connect at all.

I first considered replacing the linksys models with a Dual band simultaneous router and a dual band bridge. As I have done more and more research, I'm thinking the router is overkill, as I can leave my current router in place for G devices and wired to the PC, and a pair of bridge/APs would get the job done for the home theater equipment. I'm looking at a pair of D-link DAP-1522s; one in AP mode and one as a bridge, with the plan to run them with as N 5 ghz. This has the added benefit that I can add additional N devices over time. I have looked at the Netgear WNHDE111, which is cheaper and seems to review favorably, but would require an additional wired switch to work in my situation (the DAP-1522 has 4 ports). My research seems to indicate that pairing devices from the same manufacturer should have better chances of working together, but I am open to suggestion - i.e. I could pair a D-link bridge with a Netgear AP if this would work.

Finally, I stumbled upon the NETGEAR Home Theater Internet Connection Kit XAVB1004 which would allow me to connect my 4 home theater devices via powerline network. I have concerns regarding the wiring and electrical interference in my condo and don't know if this would be a good option.

My concerns are 1- reliability, 2 - speed, and 3 - price. Are there any other options I should consider? What looks like the best solution, bearing in mind my three concerns.

Thanks for the help.

A crowded 2.4 GHz environment is not going to work. You either need to move to 5 GHz or go powerline or MoCA.

If you have Coax wiring in both locations, go with MoCA. NETGEAR kit or D-Link / Actiontec.

You can get the WNHDEB111 kit with two adapters for ~$115.

Thanks for your input.

If I were to go the MoCA route, I would need to run it inline between the wall and cable modem and at my cable TV. Would running MoCA impact the bandwidth available for cable TV and/or internet?

Would it be feasible or advisable to run the Netgear WNHDEB111 as an access point and the DAP-1522 as the bridge? Or would I be better off running a matched pair? I'd like to avoid buying an additional switch if possible.

I get the impression the DAP-1522 is not at all recommended.

Thanks

If I were to go the MoCA route, I would need to run it inline between the wall and cable modem and at my cable TV. Would running MoCA impact the bandwidth available for cable TV and/or internet?
It should not. It's designed for just that. Go download the installation and user guides and check the connection diagrams.

Would it be feasible or advisable to run the Netgear WNHDEB111 as an access point and the DAP-1522 as the bridge? Or would I be better off running a matched pair? I'd like to avoid buying an additional switch if possible.
They will connect and pass traffic. Don't know if you'll get best performance, however.

I get the impression the DAP-1522 is not at all recommended.
I wouldn't say that. I just found that its 2.4 GHz performance was somewhat unstable.

Thanks. I'm going to strongly consider the MoCA option. I will report back with my ultimate decision and performance report.

I picked up the Netgear MoCA kit about a month and an half ago. I'm using it in conjunction with a really old D-Link switch I had in a box for several years. I can say that after some time using the Netgear MoCA setup, I have been extremely happy. In comparison with my prior wireless setup, I now have a reliable connection (I have not noticed a problem with connectivity since installation). While I have not done any real throughput testing, I have the impression that my network performance is substantially improved - network based applications perform much more consistently and responsively. I have noted no interference with my cable TV signal.

Overall, I strongly recommend the Netgear MoCA. Thanks for the great advice!

Thanks for reporting back. Glad you like the product.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!