What's new

Help with AC68U and DG834G wireless bridge..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hitman

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I need help setting up my Netgear DG834G to connect to my AC68U using wireless bridge mode.

Reason for this (to help with setting this up) is I have unlocked my HG612 fibre modem to get the line stats but as the stats are on it's lan port 2 only, I currently have an Ethernet cable running along the floor from the modem to the AC68U and want to remove this cable and connect the modem wirelessly using the DG834G.

Eg HG612 modem (port2) -ethernet- DG834G (Lan port1) ~~wireless~~ AC68U

Can anyone help me set this up?

Thanks for any help.

On the contrary, if you want WiFi clients to still be able to connect to the AC68U then its THAT which needs to be the WDS bridge. You would then have the DG834G connect to it in WDS Client mode.

There are a lot of caveats here though that mean it may not work.

1) WDS can only really be guaranteed between two identical devices as the implementation varies.
2) Not all clients can necessarily connect to a WDS Station, so you may have issues with some of your other WiFi devices in this configuration.

As you must already be running an ethernet cable to the AC68U anyway, is it really worth the hassle to just to save a port/cable?

There are some other options:

Can the AC68U be configured to bridge its WAN port to LAN while also connecting to the PPPoE service over a VLAN on that same WAN port?
If so, you can actually configure the HG612 to transmit both WAN and LAN traffic over the same ethernet port and thus just the single cable. Although I am using OpenWRT on my router to allow this configuration, I'm not sure any of the commercial firmwares allow such fancy configurations.

Or alternatively if its just having two cables that bothers you, convert that single cable to dual 100Mbit connections so you still use 2 ports down one cable. Its kinda fiddly to do, but it does work.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info appreciated!

Yes I could do with removing the second cable as its across the middle of my living room floor (the first Ethernet cable was embedded in the wall).

Most of my clients connect via 5Ghz and I've only changed the 2.4ghz settings to match on both units.

What I have done so far is added the mac of the DG834 into the AC68 under WDS settings and vice versa (set the DG834 to WDS and added the AC68 mac).

Set the DG834 IP to be on the same network (192.169.1.40) and Set both wireless (2.4) to same channel/SSID/Security level.

Ip's
Modem (static/fixed @ 192.168.1.1)
AC68/gateway (192.168.1.2)
DG834 (192.168.1.40) internal DHCP off, firewall+spi disabled

Wireless Settings 2.4ghz
WDS (AC68 WDS only, wireless mode - legacy, DG834 wireless point - point bridge)
WEP/open
Channel 6/20mhz
Netgear Same ssid on both units

No matter what I try I just cannot get the two to talk to each other.

Could be the difference in implementations as you suggest?

Quote:
Or alternatively if its just having two cables that bothers you, convert that single cable to dual 100Mbit connections so you still use 2 ports down one cable. Its kinda fiddly to do, but it does work.

Can you tell me a bit more about this, the modem can't be configured to allow it's gui to other ports, AFAIK it's locked to port 2 only.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Basically you need a pair of ethernet economisers, they are cheap off Amazon or eBay.

Like I said, the HG612 CAN be reconfigured to send both WAN and LAN out of any of the LAN ports, if you have access to the Web UI. But your router needs to also support using its WAN port both to bridge to the LAN and to pickup the actual WAN connection on the VLAN.

HG612_Stats_Single_Port.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!