What's new

Help with home LAN QoS Switch needs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pakman

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I have 75 Mbps FioS going through a Netgear R7000 DD-WRT. I then connect a TrendNET Gig Ethernet 24 port switch to the R7000. Most devices in the house connect directly to the TrendNET switch. I get great bandwidth performance all over the house.

However, in one room, I only have one ethernet jack and have several wired devices that need connectivity (computer, printer, wifi access point, and Verizon Wireless Samsung network extender). So, I am using another TrendNET GigE switch in this room. The problem I am having is that when mobile calls are being placed over the network extender, and the computer attached to the same second switch is accessing the internet, I get jitter/congestion on the IP-based mobile call.

I am assuming the solution here is to use a QoS/managed switch in this room and to prioritize all traffic coming from/to the network extender over any other devices attached to this switch.

Do you agree? If so, which suitable QoS/managed switch would you recommend?

Thanks!

Perhaps if you explain your setup in the room with the problem others will be able to make suggestions.

You say you have a switch, AP and Samsung wireless extender. What is the purpose of each of these devices?

Have you confirmed that you have a gigabyte link between your two switches?

Could the jitter be the result of WiFi interference?

Would it be possible to instead of all the equipment you have to replace it with a repurposed router set up as an AP which would give you three gigabyte Ethernet ports and WiFi on both 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz ?

I assume when you had your FIOS installation you requested that Verizon run Ethernet to your router instead of coaxial. Do you still have the MOCA active so if necessary you could replace your Ethernet link between the two switches if the present Ethernet cable is part of your problem?

That is one possible method, but only if it is how things are being handled over the network that is causing it. A small, semi-managed switch might be the solution. DLink has a line of semi-managed switches down to a 5 port model.

I don't know how robust their QoS is on the switches. I can't recall the QoS setup on my Trendnet TEG-160ws, but my TP-Link 2216 can set port based QoS to prioritize traffic from one port over others and setup different prioritization rules for each port.

I haven't personally played with any of that though. I don't personally suffer any issues, but I don't have any nano cells nor IP based calling on my network (I also have FIOS 75/35 package and never see any QoS issues, even with IP based video conferencing (facetime/skype)).