What's new

Help with multi-router setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlueFightingCat

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am having a hard time setting up my routers. This is my setup. I have a main router (lets call it router #1) that gets my internet using a 4G dongle. This router provides a wifi network as well as acts as a switch.

I have a dedicated switch that is connected to router #1.

I have no purchased a second router (Router #2) that is a Netgear X10 with dd-Wrt (from kong) installed succsessfully on it. My aim is to have a router #2 connect as a client to a VPN service. Router #2 will also provide a separate wifi network. The idea is that devices that need a secure network can connect to Router #2 and all other devices can connect to router #1.

What would be the best way setup for this? I currently have Router #2 running as a wireless access point (wan cable comes into a switch port not WAN port). However despite successfully setting up the VPN, my connection is not secure.

I have not managed to setup router #2 as a router (where wan cable comes into the WAN port).

Can somebody point me in the right direction. What would I need to do to get Router #2 to "act as a separate router"?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like Router#2 is not routing, just bridging since it is an AP.
#1 - Change Router#2 back to router mode and not AP mode
#2 - Cable should be Router#1(LAN) --> Router#2(WAN)

Keep in mind that while connected in this manner, devices on Router#1 will not be able to see or utilize anything on Router#2. Devices on Router#2 will possibly have limited or no access to devices on Router#1 as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!