What's new

Help with my network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rtc0523

New Around Here
I recently changed where everything was in my house and added a few devices. Its two floors and the cable modem is located upstairs. The room that has the modem in it has 3 devices that I prefer to connect wired. It also has a wireless device or 2. The other room upstairs has 2 devices that need to be connected wired as well. Then there is 1 device downstairs that needs to be connected wired and in the future will most likely add another wired device. In the room with the modem I have a DLink DI-524. Its working great no problems at all. One of the wired ports there I have running through the walls to the other room upstairs and that is connected to a Netgear WPN824v3. From that router I have a line running downstairs to the room directly below that is plugged into the wired pc downstairs. The PC in the upstairs room with the Netgear router has Win 7 and for a long time I could not get it to work with the router I kept getting an Unidentified network and couldnt do anything. Finally I got it to connect but I had to change the speed to 10Mbps Full Duplex. Now that computer is seeing numbers of .81Mbps on speedtest and that is just not acceptable. I am not sure about the PC downstairs but I will check its speeds tomorrow but that one isnt as important. I have 2 more routers here as well a Netgear WNR2000 which gave me all sorts of problems with its wireless and a Verizon Wireless branded router. I am not sure of what would be the best way to connect everything where I wouldnt see such slow speeds on any of the devices and was wondering what I could be doing differently. Thank you for your help and I will provide any and all other details required.

am i correct in thinking you have a router downstairs and a router upstairs connected via a cable :eek: that will cause an issue.

your explanation is way confusing :rolleyes:

sounds to me like you need the router upstairs and a switch downstairs linked by Cat5

this will give you at least 4 wired connections upstairs and 4 downstaires plus the wireless coverage from the router :cool:

Agreed...get away from double NAT
Put your best performing router at the edge...probably the Netgear.

2nd floor...cable modem==>Netgear wireless router==> wired PCs and 1x ethernet cable running downstairs.

1st floor...little 5 port switch which that cable running down from upstairs links into.

Wireless will most likely cover both floors fine.

Older homes you need two or more AP on the wireless side. Newer homes can get by with one again depends on how much metal construction is present?

Older homes you need two or more AP on the wireless side. Newer homes can get by with one again depends on how much metal construction is present?

Hard to say, I live in a 3,600 sq ft 3 story farm house...original part of the home built in the 1940's. 1 single N wireless AP gives me 100% coverage in all floors and corners of the home. Even when I was running old G, I'd still get coverage in all areas, although the corners of the living room on the first floor were 1/3 strength or so, but still quite usable for web surfing. N punched that up to full signal.