What's new

Help with my setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OBENZ

Regular Contributor
So as you can see it hopefully can see from the diagram, I have an odd setup. My ISP modem and the ac86u are in the kitchen with the ac86u acting as the DHCP server and 3 cat6 cables are going from there to living room, kids room and guest room. The tricky part is my bedroom can't be cabled so no cat6 there, what I did is install a tp-link av1200 power line in the living room next to the ac86u which is acting as an AP, then 2 other AV1200 in my bedroom, one of them is linked to my belkin db750. Problem is, network speeds are bad.
Rpi 3 to minix u9 (both linked through gbit ports) show 300mb/s and both are in the living room.
Nvidia shield ( in my bedroom) to any of those 2 devices show man speeds of 70mb/s
Nvidia shield to rpi 2 is showing max theoretical speeds of the rpi of 90mb/s
I'm at loss here, there seems t be a substantial hit to the network going from the living room to the bedroom

Attachments

• 16006996391851349078573201634425.jpg
    16006996391851349078573201634425.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 201
why did you put two powerline modules in the bedroom ? that means you have at least 3 on the system. PL results are highly variable depending on the condition and how the wiring was installed. Those rates are pretty typical, in my experience, for powerline.
The fewer you have installed on your power distribution wiring, the more likely you will get higher bandwidth. Single point to point is best. That being said, why not place an AP across the hall in the guest room where you have an ethernet cable instead ? You have line of sight through the door and even with the doors closed, they are relatively transparent to wireless unless solid wood or metal.

BTW, the drawing is difficult to read due to the angle.

why did you put two powerline modules in the bedroom ? that means you have at least 3 on the system. PL results are highly variable depending on the condition and how the wiring was installed.
The fewer you have installed on your power distribution wiring, the more likely you will get higher bandwidth. Single point to point is best. That being said, why not place an AP across the hall in the guest room instead ? You have line of sight through the door and even with the doors closed, they are relatively transparent to wireless unless solid wood or metal.

BTW, the drawing is difficult to read due to the angle.
i only put 2 yesterday to test if theres any improvement but there wasnt so that will be removed this afternoon. I was thinking of having an AP there buut since i have very solid wood doors, the wifi sucks across all the rooms which is another problem im having :( whould i get another AC86u just for AP or is there something cheaper but with good wifi performance?the main problem i have is streaming 4k HDR content buffers sometimes, other than this everything runs smoothly

can you compress the 4k for transmit ? or is it already compressed ?
Any coax available in the walls ?
MOCA can be a good option.

no coax available, i just checked with tplink utility and the link is weak, it shows 138mbs :/i guess i need to find another solution