What's new

Help with pings/latency on RX3000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

danielefc

New Around Here
Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help me out here, I bought a new router yesterday (GS-RX3000) to replace my existing router (NG R8000p) which I've had for about 5 years

But the ping and latency seems to be all over the place which doesn't make sense to me, I'm still well within the return period but wondering if there's something I'm missing

I'm on virgin media with a hub 3 and use it in modem mode, setup the new router, updated the firmware and reset both modem and router to factory defaults for testing

I have ran multiple tests all within a 10-15 minute period with ookla speedtest:

ASUS:
IDLE: 14 | DL: 32 | UL: 38

In comparison, here's the same tests results direct to the hub and also from my old router:

HUB MODEM MODE:
IDLE:10 | DL: 27 | UL: 6

HUB ROUTER MODE:
IDLE: 8 | DL: 27 | UL: 6

NETGEAR R800P:
IDLE: 7 | DL: 26 | UL: 6

As you can see all my existing hardware has very similar results, but my apparent upgrade has significantly downgraded the performance.. in enabling adaptive QoS and limiting the bandwidth I got the numbers down to 14, 21, 22 but I noticed this also introduces bufferbloat

But in general I'm very confused how a router at factory settings with all the bells and whistles disabled has significantly increased both idle and upload pings? While my old router somehow reduced the idle ping?

I also have a BQM setup and it's looking kinda crazy:

1a7de949fdac96a271e4142146e2b0a7dae20e90.png

Thanks,
Dan

ROG Strix GS-AX3000 is an entry-level model with RT-AX58U/AX3000 hardware inside and locked radios. The same router with full features is marketed as GS-AX5400. The lower model Asus router I would recommend is RT-AX86S with options RT-AX86U or RT-AX86U Pro if the budget allows.

I was originally going to buy the 5400, but I compared this with the 3000 and they look identical apart from WIFI speeds which wasn't really my priority

But all these results above are wired, I'm no expert but no router should be increasing pings/latency over wired connections?

Not sure what's going on because this router was abandonware at one point with no firmware update available for >1 year and accordingly it was never popular nor recommended to buy here on SNB Forums. Asus sells like 10 different RT, TUF, ROG models based on the same hardware with different features locked/unlocked and some decorated with RGB lights. Try factory resetting it, default configuration, test again. If it still doesn't work as you expect - send it back and get something better, tested working well and more popular.

Ok thanks guess I'll just send it back, already tried factory reset, default settings etc

Pretty sure I'd get better results than this with a standard budget £20 router!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!