What's new

help with selective vpn

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheRavenster

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Purchased a asus ac68u and updated the firmware successfully to the latest merlin build. The reason for merlin was due to being able to have selective vpn.

Im new to the general router / vpn scene so i apologize upfront for the lack of knowledge. What i would like to be able to do this the following;

1. remotely check the router settings over internet via vpn (i was able to setup a no-ip.com ddns and opened port80, then tried port forward, and this worked remotely. However, i disabled as too much of a security concern)

2. run my lorex camera nvr setup remotely secure through vpn. I have an nvr and also tinycampro which i would like to use. I know lorex have their own ddns but again, i assume this can be hacked and vpn is a more secure option.

My question is how would i go about setting this up?

I have a TorGuard account and have downloaded the openvpn setting config file from them and uploaded into merlin. I activated the vpn server/client settings using the torguard default settings, and i noticed right away that everything slowed down. I lost internet connection and the asus router page was very slow. I guess this is due to the vpn.

If you could point me in a general direction on how to setup or help with advice i would be greatful. I have read a number of conflicting posts on other forums, so i thought best come to the right place. Especially with the merlin build.

thanks guys

so i have tried the following link https://www.vpnuniversity.com/routers/use-selectivepolicy-routing-kill-switch-asuswrt-merlin and that helped me setup a my VPN Client section, so i could have my phone always connected to the VPN and all others not. I use my TorGuard info and that works great...

But im still confused really on how i take the next step and connect my DDNS from no-ip.com to my VPN. So i could remote into my router from work over VPN. This is where i get lost because there so many variable, do i have to open/forward ports, etc.

Once i get this setup i would like to add my NVR camera setup on VPN, so i could use TinyCamPro app through my VPN remotely.

Would the next step be to enable the VPN server so i can connect when not at home?

Thanks for the reply. Ok, so I setup the VPN server and thats working.

How do I get the ddns from no-ip.com to connect to my VPN so I can view remotely? The IP address in noip is my public address not the VPN address... Thanks for the help.

How do I get the ddns from no-ip.com to connect to my VPN so I can view remotely? The IP address in noip is my public address not the VPN address... Thanks for the help.
What are you trying to "view"?:confused: Now that you have the VPN server running on your router you can use it's public IP address (or the DDNS address) to connect to your home network. You then have access to everything you would from your home PC. So if you wanted to log into the router's web interface you would use http://192.168.1.1 (assuming that's what you normally use).

Ok. For example, I want to login to my router settings from my phone or over the internet when at work. I can't use 192.168.1.1 because that's for my home login. I have the noip ddns configured with my public ip, but when I try to connect to that web address it doesn't work. The only time I got that to work was when I open ports and enabled web access from wan, which is not secure.

I created a openvpn file with the settings, but I don't know what to do with that... Do I need to link that somehow?

Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

Yes, you do use the 192.168.1.1 address.

First you use the VPN client on your phone to connect to your VPN server at home using its public IP address. Your phone is now connected to a Virtual Private Network. Your phone will now behave as if it were connected to your home Wi-Fi network.

If I get you right, all you have to do is:
1. Set up DDNS in the router (assuming the router has a public IP for the WAN interface) - Seems you've got this done.
2. Use the DDNS address to replace the Server IP address in the OPVN client(s) configuration file(s).

That's it! the ovpn client shall then connect to your router vpn server.