What's new

Help with VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stickleback

Occasional Visitor
Greetings! I am new to the forum and am glad to know that this support is available. I have an Asus RT-N66U Router which I replaced the stock firmware with Merlin. I have "Private Internet Access" VPN which I would like to install on my router. Could someone please give me a walk through or a link on how to accomplish this? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Greetings! I am new to the forum and am glad to know that this support is available. I have an Asus RT-N66U Router which I replaced the stock firmware with Merlin. I have "Private Internet Access" VPN which I would like to install on my router. Could someone please give me a walk through or a link on how to accomplish this? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
This should help you! https://www.snbforums.com/threads/t...for-asus-merlin-380-65-380-65_2-part-i.38281/

Which RMerlin fork do you have installed? I would recommend the john9527 fork as the RMerlin fork has been discontinued for a long time.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v39e3.18914/

Go to this link at PIA.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/ovpn-config-generator

Then generate a config file for a LINUX device

Select Port 1198

Select the server nearest you.

Then go into one of the OPEN VPN Clients on Merlin.

click on the upload link on the page

Add your user name and password

click apply

click start and you VPN client is up and running.

You are done. You can select the option to have the VPN client start with the WAN.

Go to this link at PIA.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/ovpn-config-generator

Then generate a config file for a LINUX device

Select Port 1198

Select the server nearest you.

Then go into one of the OPEN VPN Clients on Merlin.

click on the upload link on the page

Add your user name and password

click apply

click start and you VPN client is up and running.

You are done. You can select the option to have the VPN client start with the WAN.
Thank you! Will give it a shot!

Not really sure which fork I have. How would I check! Thanks!
Login to the GUI and at the top of the page, what does it say against “firmware version”?

Alternatively, go to the Tools tab, bottom of the General list, and open it. Firmware version is second one down on the Sysinfo page.

Is the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool the only way to install this update? I am afraid of bricking it!

Yes, it is the recommended way for a good reason. :)

Don't worry, it is near impossible to brick the RT-N66U. :)

Thanks, successfully did the upgrade, but now I am getting the message, "The availabel NVRam space is too low and may affect proper router operation". I looked at the system stats and this is what I saw: NVRAM Usage 65546/65536 bytes (100% Utilized) JFFS 0.60/11.00 mg.

Thanks, successfully did the upgrade, but now I am getting the message, "The availabel NVRam space is too low and may affect proper router operation". I looked at the system stats and this is what I saw: NVRAM Usage 65546/65536 bytes (100% Utilized) JFFS 0.60/11.00 mg.

Now, you need to do a full M&M config, of course. :)

I have not done this before what is involved? Thank you!

Follow the M&M Config link in my signature below. Ask questions as needed, but read as much as you can first. :)