What's new

Hiding Guest SSID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rajav2

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Is it possible to hide the Guest SSID's?
Anybody has instruction on how to achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Anybody has instruction on how to achieve this?
Any reason NOT to do a small search for 'hide guest ssid' and find this yourself? :rolleyes:

Every forum has a search functionality and it need to be used FIRST, before posting the same question again and again... :eek:

Any reason NOT to do a small search for 'hide guest ssid' and find this yourself? :rolleyes:

Every forum has a search functionality and it need to be used FIRST, before posting the same question again and again... :eek:

Sorry about that. Will search first in future.
Thanks.

Here is the info I found

Yes. There is a way to hide the guest networks. You will need to SSH or telnet into the router. For example if you wanted disable the SSID advertisement for guest network 1 on the 2.4 Ghz band then type the following.
Code:
nvram set wl0.1_closed=1
nvram commit

Use 0 instead of 1 to make it visible again.

You will then have to disable then re-enable the guest network or restart the router to make it work. I have done this on the N66U and it works for me. I use it because I have a guest network setup for my VPN.

Here is a list of the guest networks and their interface numbers.

2.4 Ghz Radio
wl0.1 ---> Guest Network 1
wl0.2 ---> Guest Network 2
wl0.3 ---> Guest Network 3

5 Ghz Radio
wl1.1 ---> Guest Network 1
wl1.2 ---> Guest Network 2
wl1.3 ---> Guest Network 3

you can also restart the wireless service by issuing
service restart_wireless

It will probably be faster than using the GUI, since you are already using SSH.

And only use nvram commit if you want/need to make this persistent across reboots and do not want to put that in an init-script. Otherwise you are wasting one of a finite number of write operations the nvram can handle in its lifetime (don't know how many, but read about being careful and try to avoid unnecessary commits many times)

you can also restart the wireless service by issuing

It will probably be faster than using the GUI, since you are already using SSH.

And only use nvram commit if you want/need to make this persistent across reboots and do not want to put that in an init-script. Otherwise you are wasting one of a finite number of write operations the nvram can handle in its lifetime (don't know how many, but read about being careful and try to avoid unnecessary commits many times)

Thanks for the input.
I would not worry too much about the writes. Remember when SSD came out, everyone was worried about the writes and lifespan. Then all the tech sites ran tests that proved that SSD fragile nature is a myth and it lasts a lifetime.

Same for this nvram, it should clearly outlast the lifetime of the device.
My RT-AC68U has 3 years warranty and in 3 years there should be a better wireless standard out there.
Even if it dies, it will be a good reason for a router refresh :)