What's new

Solved High lag on NordVPN - RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cowst

Hi,
in the latest couple of weeks, some time after I updated to latest Merlin after over an year (with factory reset), I noticed that when connected with nordVPN, the connection, beside being a little slower than without VPN (no surprise here), has a very high response time.
I noticed it because it started often to timeout on some requests, most visibly on kodi stream requests.
I never felt the need to investigate bad performance on vpn until now, so I cannot be sure it was great before, but the behavior in the attached picture doesn't seem right.
A similar behavior happens on my android tv (where I noticed it first), but also from my laptop, which passes the same tests with shining colors without vpn.
And I tried different servers, although the client should pick one currently good server by itself.
Do you have any advice to further troubleshoot?
I was hoping the issue is with some conflicting setting that I set when I upgraded the router, otherwise it means the issue is out of my control.

Thanks

Attachments

• bloat.png
    bloat.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 241
Mystery solved.
Apparently with openvpn for android, having an old server config will result in a dns that is not the one expected with the vpn server nor the ones I tried to force in.
This arbitrary dns seems to be superslow and causing the reported issues.
A newer config to another server solved it.