What's new

High memory usage in GT-AXE16000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sanxion

New Around Here
Hello!

This is my first post on this forum. I hope you can help me.

I was using an RT-AC88U with Merlin software as a router node. I was using the router as a SAMBA or DLNA server to stream music and occasionally movies. I recently bought a GT-AXE16000 router. This router uses the latest non-beta stock firmware. The new device is now the main router and the RT-AC88U is now an AiMesh node. I connected the SSD to the main router to test the performance of the SSD while streaming music and movies. I have seen that after streaming, memory usage on the GT-AXE1600 is very high (95% or even more).
Memory usage before streaming is much lower, around 40%. It does not decrease once streaming is finished.

Unfortunately I didn't do the same check when I was only using the RT-AC88U.

Is this memory usage normal? Is this memory behavior normal?

Thanks!

Thanks for your answer.

Do you know if the problem is related to the use of original firmware or if the problem also exists with the Merlin variant?

Is this memory usage normal? Is this memory behavior normal?
Yes its normal when you have a USB drive attached to the router and are using that storage as a file server/media streamer. Plenty of past discussions and posts about people asking similar questions when the memory usage is at 95% or higher. For example this recent discussion:
If one is worried about it, they can periodically clear (drop) the cache on the router which should drop the memory usage back down for a time before it rises again due to the external hard drive usage. Example post explaining how to clear the router cache using SSH.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/anomaly-ram-usage-97.89532/#post-901692

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!