What's new

Hissing sound when choosing 5GHZ 149, 153, 157?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scjr

Very Senior Member
Rt-ac1900p here.

When changing channels on 5ghz, the router makes a hissing type sound coming from it on channels 149, 153, 157 and my devices have trouble connecting and internet is slow.

It’s not so loud, but you can hear it when sitting near the router. Changing channels and I definitely noticed it. All the lower channels and 161 are fine. When I change to the three channels mentioned, I hear the hiss. Thought I was crazy and replicated so my wife could hear it, and even she noticed it.

Using latest ASUS firmware. Has anyone encountered this?

It's coil noise - harmless but some devices it can be a bit irritating if in a really quiet room...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetically_excited_acoustic_noise_and_vibration
Thanks, sfx2000.

Any reason the noise would be prominent on just those three channels and the connection doesn’t work properly with my devices, compared to all other channels?

Just for reference, little to any noise on the other channels.

I’m on 161 now and everything runs great.

UNII-3 band is permitted a bit higher Tx power - and even then, like you mention, it can be a bit frequency sensitive depending on the specific components.

UNII-3 band is permitted a bit higher Tx power - and even then, like you mention, it can be a bit frequency sensitive depending on the specific components.

Over my head. Haha

We have mostly apple devices. 2 iPads and 2 iPhones. You think the lower channels on 5ghz would play better with Apple devices?

Appreciate you.

Should be fine - lower channels might have a bit shorter range depending on region where you are and the age of the devices (UNII-1 used to be power limited in some regions).

Should be fine - lower channels might have a bit shorter range depending on region where you are and the age of the devices (UNII-1 used to be power limited in some regions).
Thanks. I noticed the higher channels have better range.

Want to try others, but they act weird when selected and unit makes that hissing. Restored settings and still no go. I still may exchange at Best Buy next week. Don’t really like doing exchanges, since Best Buy is 30 miles from here. Just like things to work.

Thank you so much for all your help.

I decided to set N/AC mixed mode on 5GHZ, changed the channel to 157 and no hiss and devices didn’t miss a beat! Full speed.

Will do some more testing like this and see if it that took care of it. Thanks Sfx. Still learning. Not a pro like you and other great contributors here.

Appreciate your help!

I decided to set N/AC mixed mode on 5GHZ, changed the channel to 157 and no hiss and devices didn’t miss a beat! Full speed.

Will do some more testing like this and see if it that took care of it.

Happy to be of some help here...

A/N/AC mode for 5GHz is actually the best for that setting - long story, but the chipset is capable to doing the right thing there in the most efficient manner.

Happy to be of some help here...

A/N/AC mode for 5GHz is actually the best for that setting - long story, but the chipset is capable to doing the right thing there in the most efficient manner.
I’m wondering if this problem has to do with communication between router and Apple devices, on those specific channels? I’m thinking this only happened, when those devices didn’t have an assigned IP and I was changing channels?

Going to do some more testing tomorrow and if all is well, will put that setting back where you recommended. At least I try those channels now. :)

Ok, just to update this thread.

I reset the router, but shut off WiFi on my Apple devices first. I then went into router and was able to change between every 5Ghz channel several times. No hissing. Nothing connected to network, but my laptop with Ethernet cable.

I contacted Asus support and they escalated my issue. They took the information and said it was going to their development team. Might be that changing channels with Apple Devices don’t play well? He said it could be just firmware related too. I’m fairly confident it isn’t hardware. *fingers crossed*

I picked my 5Ghz channel, set up router, connected everything. Anyway, all good now. Speeds great. Will monitor it. I have until mid January to do an exchange.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!