What's new

Home Network Router Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrg

Occasional Visitor
I've recently set up a small home network including a windows home server and a core i3 based HTPC.

Internet is via O2 (Wireless Box II) and a Linksys WRT610N router is connected to this as an access point using advice from this site. The O2 box address is 192.168.1.254 and controls DHCP through .63 to .253. The WRT610N address is 192.168.1.1 with its DHCP server disabled.

The home server is connected via ethernet to the WRT610N. Both 2.4 and 5Ghz 802.11n radios are on and the HTPC connects via the latter. WiFi internet for a couple of laptops is via the 2.4. My plan was to turn off the O2 box 802.11g access.

After setting all this up everything worked well. I could access both routers/modems and the home server/HTPC both had internet access.

However, without changing any network settings I'm now getting random complete dropouts of the 802.11n networks or random loss of internet connection with only local access to the home server. For no apparent reason I can only access the WRT610n intermittently (i.e. the settings webpage only works occasionally and can be offline even though the router appears to be functioning ok in terms of internet/server access). When everything is rebooted all works ok and then after 30min the same problems again. The real frustration is that I'm not changing any settings before the problems start; even if everything is left on idle the same issues occur. I suspect the problem is with the Linksys - has anyone else had similar difficulties? Does it sound like an overheating problem?

Does your wrt610n have the latest firmware?

Is the wrt610n located near or next to the O2 box? If so try separating them by a few more feet. RF radiation can sometimes cause other radios to lockup.

Snap image of your setup visually if you can or draw-up network diagram. What happens if you download iSSDer and run that program. What does your wireless gear show for RSSi (-xxdBm) lower the number the better.

Network diagram attached.

I will try an update firmware. WRT610N is a fairly mature product by now so will be surprised if this basic problem hasn't been ironed out already.

Currently have the same problem again. The Linksys seems to be doing its job correctly i.e. I'm on the laptop connected to its 2.4Ghz network with internet access but am unable to access the router settings at 192.168.1.1!!

Apart from disabling DHCP is there anything else I should have done to set up the Linksys as an access point? Would I be better off connecting the Linksys 'Internet' port to the O2 box and having the Linksys manage DHCP (I don't have anything connected directly to the O2 box)

Any help to resolve these frustrations appreciated!

Attachments

• Network.png
    Network.png
    9 KB · Views: 604
Thanks for drawing a diagram :D

O2 okay you're in the UK. So this is your wireless router/modem correct? Linksys as AP, make sure DHCP server is disabled, NAT, SPI any other firewall, DNS. You might have to clear any DHCP Server settings for 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200 range. Then create static IP address for the box. If I was you, bypass the O2 and use the Linksys to manage the DHCP, and your wireless. Try that. If you can't get into the Web Admin then you need to hold the reset button for 90 seconds,

1st (30 seconds) power on and reset is pressed in
2nd (30 seconds) power off and reset is pressed in
3rd (30 seconds) power on and reset is pressed in

Note doing the above will completely flush all settings out and back to the factory default.

Have seemingly solved the issues I was having by turning off remote access on the Home Server. Fingers crossed no further network drop outs and can consistently access the WRT610N. No remote access is no big loss for me and probably safer anyhow.

Cheers for the suggestions

Have seemingly solved the issues I was having by turning off remote access on the Home Server. Fingers crossed no further network drop outs and can consistently access the WRT610N. No remote access is no big loss for me and probably safer anyhow.
Yes, it's better to disable remote access if it wasn't needed.

Could have been that WHS was doing something via UPnP that was messing you up. But that would have been port forwarding and should not have affected wireless access.

Wireless wonkyness can be caused by microwave ovens, strong nearby network(s) and some cordless phones. But since you're in the UK and probably using DECT, the last point is unlikely.

So, your "fix" could be coincidental and the problem may return.

Cheers for the suggestions

Turn off VPN, WPS if you're not using these features.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!