What's new

Home network setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rsurbek

New Around Here
Hi,
I need some help how to configure my routers setings including dhcp and ip addresses.
In one place I have a router with a sim card for internet. To this router using a lan cable I have connected a wireless access point Tplink cpe510. 100 meters away I have another Tplink cpe510 which receives signal from first one and this one is connected to another router using lan cable. at this place I have another router which acts as a wireless repeater.
Here is a diagram in attachment

Thank you

Attachments

• lan.jpg
    lan.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 69
I kinda think that "Home network setup" seems a little misleading! It would seem to me that you might want to get a professional in to perform an audit and recommend equipment that will do what you require without going through a "suck it and see" process. Genuinely think in the long run, getting professionals in will actually save you money!

Thank you for your reply but I already have all the equipment and it is working but not always as it should so I just need some help with configuration of ip addresses and on which device dhcp should be on or off

Last edited:
Looking at your diagram, I presume that the cpe510 pair make up a dedicated point-to-point link.

Certainly your router that is connected to the internet will serve IP addresses, unless you choose to use a DHCP reservation for the local cpe510. In the diagram you show, the IP address range allowed by the router connected to the internet can be quite small, unless there are other devices not shown.

I have not tried a PtP link such as this, but I presume that the router you have connected to the remote end of the PtP link will get its IP address (over the wireless link) from the router connected to the internet unless the PtP remote station expects to perform this function. In my network, the tp-link WAP that I use does not issue IP addresses, clients get them from the router to which the WAP is connected. (to emphasize: while I use a WAP and a wireless repeater, I don't use a PtP link so I may be making an inaccurate assumption.)

I use a wireless repeater that has its DHCP server set to ON. Initially this surprised me but it works without issue, handing out its own range of local IP addresses* to clients.

You didn't mention how your setup is configured, but I believe the answer to how many of your devices will be serving IP addresses is: 2.
Perhaps you could also elaborate on the kinds of errors or difficulties you are experiencing besides that it doesn't always work. This could potentially help us assist you.

Please let us know how things work out. I'm always interested to learn...

* range defined by me. This range is not within the range of the other. For example, the repeater issues IPs in the 192.168.35.x range, while the main router is in the 192.168.108.x range.

Hi,
I need some help how to configure my routers setings including dhcp and ip addresses.
In one place I have a router with a sim card for internet. To this router using a lan cable I have connected a wireless access point Tplink cpe510. 100 meters away I have another Tplink cpe510 which receives signal from first one and this one is connected to another router using lan cable. at this place I have another router which acts as a wireless repeater.

Thank you

Each device acting as a router needs to have a different subnet. But you aren't clear as to whether the two routers at the bottom right are actually running in router mode or if they are running as access points/repeaters/etc. I'm assuming the "router as repeater" is not running in router mode, in which case it is just an access point.

As long as the subnet on your hardwired router is different from the one on the ISP router, you should be fine. That router will get a 192.168.0.x WAN IP from the ISP router (the hardwire should be in the WAN port), and you should have its LAN set to something like 192.168.1.1. Again, that is assuming it is in router mode. If in AP mode, then it will use the same 192.168.0.x as the ISP router and you can use any port.

However given the "daisy chained" wireless links I suspect any issues you're seeing may not be related to IP addressing and are more likely related to wireless issues, placement, etc.

Exactly what issues are you seeing?

So, all 3 routers do have wifi on and allow clients to connect. The two cpe510 antennas make a ptp link and they work fine, signal strenght is around 50% and they dont lose connection. My isp router has ip 192.168.0.1. and dhcp on in range of 192.168.0.20 to 192.168.0.100 and it is working fine and clients can connect to it. The two cpe510 antennas have ip's 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4 and on both dhcp is off and their signal and connections are ok. the router connected by wire to the cpe510 receiving the signal is connected to Lan port and has ip 192.168.0.2. and dhcp is on from 192.168.0.120 to 192.168.0.250 and it works fine. The last router sometimes allows clients to connect and sometimes not, it is working as a repeater and has its ip 192.168.0.254 and dhcp off.

What settings should I change?
thank you

EDIT: I have reset to factory default settings the repeater and set it up again like I described and it is working now. Should I change any settings or is this ok?

So, all 3 routers do have wifi on and allow clients to connect. The two cpe510 antennas make a ptp link and they work fine, signal strenght is around 50% and they dont lose connection. My isp router has ip 192.168.0.1. and dhcp on in range of 192.168.0.20 to 192.168.0.100 and it is working fine and clients can connect to it. The two cpe510 antennas have ip's 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4 and on both dhcp is off and their signal and connections are ok. the router connected by wire to the cpe510 receiving the signal is connected to Lan port and has ip 192.168.0.2. and dhcp is on from 192.168.0.120 to 192.168.0.250 and it works fine. The last router sometimes allows clients to connect and sometimes not, it is working as a repeater and has its ip 192.168.0.254 and dhcp off.

What settings should I change?
thank you

You have two DHCP servers on the same network. That is bad.

The first router that is wired to the second CPE510, set it to access point mode. You can use the same 192.168.0.2 management IP. You can leave the cable in the LAN port, that's fine.

The CPE510s are set up as just AP/Client mode right (one is AP, one is client)? Not router mode?

The repeater should be fine as-is.

Might be easier if you change your diagram to show the MODE of each device. A router acting as repeater is just a repeater.

Also make sure the CPE510s are set with their own unique SSID and use it only for that P2P link, don't connect any clients to them. Best to let them just do their job and not try to handle clients too (unless you have a specific need for them to). You can even hide the SSID for simplicity, but not required.

The alternative is to move the cable on that router to the WAN port, and set the LAN to some other subnet, like 192.168.1.x. You will be in a double NAT setup, which is not necessarily a bad thing, it actually helps segment your network off and prevents unnecessary broadcasts from going all over the place. However if you need inbound access from the internet you'll need to configure it on both the ISP router and your second router, just something to keep in mind. But if you don't have a ton of devices, the AP mode option above should be fine and easiest to manage.

Last edited:
I have turned off dhcp on second router and that one works fine. But my repeater doesnt work, somethimes I can connect but internet doesnt work and sometimes I even cant connect. I have set its ip 192.168.0.250 (outside dhcp main router range), dhcp turned off

what happens to a PC plugged into the furthest repeater ?
same issue ?
You might set separate SSIDs for each wireless band on each wireless AP/router to help understand where your devices are trying to connect. Clients tend to be sticky and not jump to the closer radio.
i found wireless repeaters to be very underpowered, very busy devices. Perhaps the DHCP service is not able to keep up with requests and they time out.

I have turned off dhcp on second router and that one works fine. But my repeater doesnt work, somethimes I can connect but internet doesnt work and sometimes I even cant connect. I have set its ip 192.168.0.250 (outside dhcp main router range), dhcp turned off
A repeater does not have a DHCP server, so now I think you're confusing DHCP client and server. The IP of the repeater doesn't matter if in repeater mode, it is just for management, doesn't affect client traffic. Are you sure the repeater is connected to the "router" and not one of the TP link devices?

Really need more info on how you have each device set up.

Could be as simple as your repeater is too far away from the router but I think you can probably clean things up a lot to simplify the troubleshooting.

I found the problem. The router that is connected to the client antenna is reseting itself around every 2 minutes. I tried replacing the power adapter but same thing. I will set another router and I think It should work fine. Because this one was reseting, the repeater didnt work either.
Thank you for your help.

I found the problem. The router that is connected to the client antenna is reseting itself around every 2 minutes. I tried replacing the power adapter but same thing. I will set another router and I think It should work fine. Because this one was reseting, the repeater didnt work either.
Thank you for your help.

That's one problem at least. It may work, whether it works "fine" or "well" is another story.

You need to decide whether you want a router or access point at that spot, and depending which one, set it up properly for that situation.

As home users though I am unaware of any service where a professional will come and help you setup your network.

There are plenty in pretty much every developed country in the world. As long as you're willing to pay. Of course in this case a "pro" is going to be someone oriented to SOHO type situations, unless you want to pay big bucks for an enterprise person that happens to have some free time and wants some side cash (probably harder to find and may not be the best option for a home setup anyway).

My friends and neighbors get the enterprise pro service for free so just start making friends with networking pros.

I don't usually help homeowners because they don't really want to spend any money on equipment. I don't want to buy or work on cheap equipment.

I don't usually help homeowners because they don't really want to spend any money on equipment. I don't want to buy or work on cheap equipment.

Well if you set your hourly price high then they won't use you unless they're really serious. In my case, I frequently help friends/relatives/neighbors with their cheap and/or ISP provided equipment, but I'm not charging for that. If there is a limitation in their hardware I let them know and if they want to replace it can usually find them something capable of what they need from TP Link for a reasonable price. Or if they are gamers/hardcore then Asus or some of the semi-pro stuff but that is not common (the one I know in that scenario currently is using the Xfinity supplied 2.5G router, for better or worse).

Well if you set your hourly price high then they won't use you unless they're really serious. In my case, I frequently help friends/relatives/neighbors with their cheap and/or ISP provided equipment, but I'm not charging for that. If there is a limitation in their hardware I let them know and if they want to replace it can usually find them something capable of what they need from TP Link for a reasonable price. Or if they are gamers/hardcore then Asus or some of the semi-pro stuff but that is not common (the one I know in that scenario currently is using the Xfinity supplied 2.5G router, for better or worse).
I don't charge, and the local ISP equipment is as good as that cheap stuff. I tell them to use that.
I have my daughter using the AT&T equipment as Cisco let me down at her home. They have a great wired back haul wireless extension. You just plug it in the wall. Her fiber works well with good wireless coverage.

Hi,

Thank you
lan 2.jpg

First, to confirm: You have clients that will be connecting to three routers via WiFi or LAN. Correct?
Question 1: Will these clients want to share resources (printers…) that are connected to another router?
Question 2: Why not use a mesh solution (see image) for the two routers connected via WiFi?