What's new

Homeplug DHCP problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fozzie bear

Occasional Visitor
I appreciate this is primarily a US forum and that Devolo homeplugs may not be available in the US but hopefully there are similarities to other makes.

I have a peculiar problem with a customer’s network which I have set up using Homeplugs. This is a very large rambling house with new additions and the wiring although all common to a single phase supply has various consumer unit/fuse boards throughout the house.

The scenario is as follows:-
Broadband (ADSL) router (Netgear) with SSID x downstairs connected via Devolo AV200 Homeplug to house power circuit.
Bedroom 1 upstairs Devolo dLan Wireless N AV200 adapter with SSID xx
Bedroom 2 upstairs Devolo dLan Wireless N AV200 adapter with SSID xxx
Study in attic Devolo dLan Wireless N AV200 adapter with SSID xxxx
Bedroom in annex Devolo dLan Wireless N AV200 adapter with SSID xxxxx

When initially set up all worked fine. There is no encryption set on any of the homplugs other than the wireless which is set to WPA2 and each homplug is left to receive an IP address dynamically from the router.
Some Homeplugs (particularly those in the older part of the house) show a red "House" symbol indicating a lower speed than others. Others vary between amber and green, indicating SD or HD streaming capability speeds.

After a week or so I had problems with users losing internet access. Their laptops were not getting an IP address from the router and assigned the default windows IP. If I assigned the laptop a static address they appeared to be ok and connect to the internet although speeds were slow. I eventually changed the router for a temporary Belkin wireless N and everything appeared to be OK so assumed the problem was the router (although I had reset to factory standard and set up from scratch and even updated it to latest firmware).
I purchased a new router (another Netgear) for the customer and everything worked for a couple of weeks but now back to the same problem. I again replaced the router with the Belkin again and it sort of works properly.
The laptops are either Vista or Windows 7 and all connect via wireless to the AV200 in the room. The problem appears to be ip assignement either when the DHCP lease expires or the user tries to connect to another wireless SSID within the house or other wireless network off site and then returns home.

Could there be incompatibility with the Netgear routers and the Devolo Homeplugs which are not apparent with the Belkin?
Perhaps it the chipset of the Devolo or the chipset in the Netgear routers switches.
I was considering using Wireshark to look at DHCP packets to see if this shows anything weird.

I am tearing my hair out with this one so any suggestions advice appreciated. I am no expert at networking but I have done networking courses and know my way around TCPIP.
Fozzie

A few things to try:

- I would focus on seeing if the APs are losing contact with the main router. If the router logs client connects / disconnects that's one way. Or you might need to use a network monitor tool like Ping Plotter to ping each of the APs to see if they fall off the network.

- Assign a static IP to each of the APs. You want to always know where they are so that you can reach them.

- Check the router DHCP table to see if it is running out of IPs. I've seen some routers assign a new IP each time the same client reconnects!

Many thanks Tim,

After a lot of research I had almost come to the same conclusion re giving each AP a static IP. I think thats a good starting point.

Hadn't thought about looking at Router logs re IP assignment. Will do that also.
:( I have just had an e-mail from the the customer saying her Wireless printer has also fallen off the network, despite me giving that a static IP. This connects to the local wireless AP so presumably if that falls of the network then the laptop will not see the printer.
Thanks again for the advice. Will report back when done

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!