What's new

Host Name is dhcpcd-6 8 2 Linux-4 4 22 armv on new firmware 388.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ComputerSteve

With the new merlin firmware 388.1 hostnames are appearing different. I just did a full factory reset and reconfigured from my AX86U from scratch, & i'm noticing that a lot of clients are now saying host names such as dhcpcd-6 8 2 Linux-4 4 22 armv.. Is this a bug?

I upgraded to Merlin 388.1 and it didn't take kindly to my Asus RT-AX3000 (RT-AX58U) mesh set up. I'm having to reset everything manually, and also noticed now many of these dhcpcd-* devices on my network too. Some Google results insinuate that they are Amazon Echo's throughout the house. Strange it can just switch like that!

I upgraded to Merlin 388.1 and it didn't take kindly to my Asus RT-AX3000 (RT-AX58U) mesh set up. I'm having to reset everything manually, and also noticed now many of these dhcpcd-* devices on my network too. Some Google results insinuate that they are Amazon Echo's throughout the house. Strange it can just switch like that!
When you say having to reset everything manually. I lost my jffs partition and all my vpn director / manual assignments for dhcp plus all other personalization after a dirty upgrade on my AX86U. Had to reconfigure everything. As far as how aimesh is working I’m not having a great experience with this upgrade and the AX55 as nodes. I notice they can’t be daisy chained or they think the backhaul is wireless instead of Ethernet. I had to fix that by getting a switch and placing that before all the nodes. I used to just be able to connect them all in a line. I also notice that when I reboot AX86U the dhcp server has a hard time reassigning ips till I manually reboot the switch and the nodes. I never had to do that before either.

When you say having to reset everything manually. I lost my jffs partition and all my vpn director / manual assignments for dhcp plus all other personalization after a dirty upgrade on my AX86U. Had to reconfigure everything. As far as how aimesh is working I’m not having a great experience with this upgrade and the AX55 as nodes. I notice they can’t be daisy chained or they think the backhaul is wireless instead of Ethernet. I had to fix that by getting a switch and placing that before all the nodes. I used to just be able to connect them all in a line. I also notice that when I reboot AX86U the dhcp server has a hard time reassigning ips till I manually reboot the switch and the nodes. I never had to do that before either.
That all sounds like a pain.
I had to manually reset and recreate each AI Mesh node in a three router set all taking the updated firmware. Otherwise, the network map function of the main page kept stalling out.

Worse, once I had everything set up again, I switched my IPs from 192.168.50.x to 10.0.0.x (which is how they were before I upgraded) and all the problems came back! I had to do it all over again, so I was like "F THIS" and just downgraded back to the prior stable version.

With your story and mine, looks like this firmware bump was a bust for us.

Last edited:
I d
That all sounds like a pain.
I had to manually reset and recreate each AI Mesh node in a three router set all taking the updated firmware. Otherwise, the network map function of the main page kept stalling out.

Worse, once I had everything set up again, I switched my IPs from 192.168.50.x to 10.0.0.x (which is how they were before I upgraded) and all the problems came back! I had to do it all over again, so I was like "F THIS" and just downgraded back to the prior stable version.

With your story and mine, looks like this firmware bump was a bust for us.
I don’t think this is @RMerlin issue though I think it’s the later GPL just isn’t as reliable in this version.