What's new

How Can I increase Transmit power?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

schmiddi19xx

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys,

is there a way to rise the power of the wireless antenna at the ax88u?
In germany only 100 mW are allowed.

Firmware downloaded from the US is the same as the firmware downloaded from any other country. Each router has its designated region hard-coded into it when manufactured. The firmware then adjusts the power output and channel selection based on this region setting. The only exception to this that I know of is certain Chinese sold routers were "world" versions that allowed the user to change the region in the GUI.

You can always change the channels. In Europe channels 96+ will allow 1W. It comes with few penalties: not all devices will support it and those channels are subject to DFS.
Anything else is not legal. And Asus had to go through legal troubles because of this, few years back.

Users, when skilled enough to bypass vendor's protection, will be able to increase the power on any channel. But you're not going to learn how to on a public forum ;)

On new router power level information is stored in bootloader and it is encrypted, this modification to bootloader is not possible anymore.

You can always change the channels. In Europe channels 96+ will allow 1W. It comes with few penalties: not all devices will support it and those channels are subject to DFS.
Anything else is not legal. And Asus had to go through legal troubles because of this, few years back.

Users, when skilled enough to bypass vendor's protection, will be able to increase the power on any channel. But you're not going to learn how to on a public forum ;)
then share your unlimited wisdom with me and tell me such a forum

then share your unlimited wisdom with me and tell me such a forum

Increasing transmission power won't give you extra range, unless you increase the power on every client connecting to this router. The clients will be able to hear the router from afar, but the router won't be able to hear them. Your router uses Skyworks front-end modules and attempts to increase the input signal results in increased levels of distortion, making your Wi-Fi connection worse. They are tuned at around -20dbm including antenna gain for optimal performance and connection reliability. Reading forums perhaps won't help you. You need more to experiment with this.

Increasing transmission power won't give you extra range, unless you increase the power on every client connecting to this router. The clients will be able to hear the router from afar, but the router won't be able to hear them. Your router uses Skyworks front-end modules and attempts to increase the input signal results in increased levels of distortion, making your Wi-Fi connection worse. They are tuned at around -20dbm including antenna gain for optimal performance and connection reliability. Reading forums perhaps won't help you. You need more to experiment with this.
To follow up on that very true advice, note that higher-gain antennas on a router can improve range because that gain applies to both transmission and reception (the reciprocity factor). In addition, the directivity of high-gain antennas helps minimize interference and noise from off-axis sources.

True high-gain antennas are difficult to find. Most on eBay/Amazon are Chinese fakes. Linksys used to sell quality high-gain antenna kits with 2x dBm.
There are at least two major categories of gain antennas. For really long distance work Yagi and other multi-element arrays antennas are the champs, trading increased gain for decreased beamwidth. Dish antennas can go even farther and have been used for 2.4GHz distance records of well over 100 miles.

For just getting an increase that gets to the back of my garage through a brick wall, the vertical antennas that screw directly onto the router have made the difference between a barely usable signal to one supporting 20 to 30Mbps transfers. They appear to be optimized for 2.4GHz (which is sensible because it is better for distance anyway).

i installed an Aruba panel antenna with 3 connections. this way i leave 1 original antanna for omni directional and the panel antenna for increased range in 1 direction.
because my router is on 1 side of the house this means i beam al across the house in one direction. way better coverage