What's new

How can I separate my tv from the network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

digital10

Regular Contributor
Now that everything is "smart" and are basically a computer, all devices talk to each other on the same network.

I have a tv that is connected to the Wifi but I wish for it not to communicate with other devices, don't want to turn the tv on and suddenly I can hear someone phone conversation or his YouTube stream is playing on the TV screen.

Any one has a smart idea on how to do this? I think one idea is to set up a VLAN and put it in its own network. I have never setup a VLAN and all I have is a consumer router(Orbi). Will it clutter or hinder the Orbi performance if I add VLANs to it? Maybe it too much for it to do.

I totally forgot about that. Yes that could work. So how technically the two are separated? is it two VLANs? I understand they have different SSID
I'm not a Netgear owner, but from what I've read on the Netgear forums it appears to work the same way as it does with Asus routers (so it doesn't use VLANs). The guest SSIDs are connected to their own virtual interfaces and then there are firewall rules that either block or allow access to the LAN depending on the setting in the GUI. It's crude but good enough for home use.

Last edited:
I answered that in post #6.
That is true so let's try a different tack. Your home router defines the IP address space for your home LAN (local area network). Let call it 192.168.1.x (192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254). In addition to the Internet LAN devices can talk to each other.

If you set "Guest" and disable intranet access those devices can only talk to the Internet. All access to the LAN, 192.168.1.x, are blocked by the router (with the exception of DNS, DHCP, etc.) It works because the router set the rules and because the traffic travels through the router it can enforce its own rules.

Or, something like that : -)

One quick question. When you set guest can you see the router to hack on?

I was just wondering if they hack your TV can they start working on your router from the inside?

I am bored with nothing to do today.

I have been wondering if it might be safer to run an AppleTV which has some security. You need to run the AppleTV in a VLAN where you run iPhones and iPads so they have access so they can work together.

I acutally don't use my smartTV any more as I use an APPleTV 4K with a HDMI cable to the TV. Because I believe this. My TV no longer has an Ethernet port connected. And I never used wireless. If it doesn't move use wire.

I would think this is a good place to run a secure DNS to protect your TV like QUAD9, 9.9.9.9. If they are going to get you I would think it would be through ADs.

I guess I am feeling a little paranoid today.

Last edited:
When a guest network is defined, it cannot see the router, unless the defaults are changed. :)

That is true so let's try a different tack. Your home router defines the IP address space for your home LAN (local area network). Let call it 192.168.1.x (192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254). In addition to the Internet LAN devices can talk to each other.

If you set "Guest" and disable intranet access those devices can only talk to the Internet. All access to the LAN, 192.168.1.x, are blocked by the router (with the exception of DNS, DHCP, etc.) It works because the router set the rules and because the traffic travels through the router it can enforce its own rules.

Or, something like that : -)

1-does the device on the guest network take an IP from the 192.168.1.x range?

2-This means that the same router will broadcast 2 SSIDs to the same network, does this hinder performace?

1-does the device on the guest network take an IP from the 192.168.1.x range?
Yes, it does. (It uses the same DHCP server.) The way I "see" it the router simply "flags" a SSID. The router sees traffic coming from a SSID, checks the flag and denies access to the LAN.
2-This means that the same router will broadcast 2 SSIDs to the same network, does this hinder performace?
Yes, there is a 2nd broadcast and yes, there is some incremental overhead. I view it as "minimal" but it could become significant as your SSID and AP counts grow. That said I wouldn't worry about adding a "few" SSIDs to the mix.

A user elsewhere on these forums attempted to measure the hit. He configured one SSID and measured a whole shoebox full of data transfers. Then he configured as many SSIDs as he could (it was an Asus so it was 4 @ 2.4 GHz and 4 @ 5 GHz) and could not measure a difference.

Last edited:
guest network is the easiest way to go.

this wouldn't help if you plugged it in with ethernet. then you'd need a VLAN... I DO see some options on my netgear r7800 under Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> VLAN bridge settings, but I've never used them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!