What's new

How common is a coax wired house (in NA) "these days"?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zjohnr

Regular Contributor
Despite all that, it can be a good alternative to banging your head against a wall trying to get wireless to reach a tough spot in a house.

Thought I'd bump this thread up to the top again (briefly) since it's been just over a year now since this discussion occurred.

My first thought about why power line networking has not caught on in the US was that it's just so expensive relative to the service it provides. But the other points raised in the posts in this thread about the lack of bandwidth, reliability, and the lack of interoperability between the standards also seem very valid.

The primary market target I can think of in NA for this technology would be to avoid the "hassle" of running cable. And most likely it would be used to add a wireless AP.

In my case, I think about this sometimes, but I also have a very small house. And if I need to extend the network it seems it would be not much harder and certainly a lot cheaper to run some CAT 5e up one interior wall into the attic and then over and down another.

Will be interesting, though, to see whether the coax/MoCA adapters that are finally starting to come out make any better headway than powerline.

I'm curious just how often coax/MoCA adapters can be used. My house was built c1954 so there is no chance it would have anything beyond your basic 120v AC power wiring. When did this change?

When did contractors/electricians start running coax as part of "standard" house wiring?

How extensive was/is the practice? And is this still being done?

I suppose from an electricians point of view, coax would seem a whole heck of a lot more useful to a homeowner than CAT-5e ... :)

-irrational john

I'm curious just how often coax/MoCA adapters can be used. My house was built c1954 so there is no chance it would have anything beyond your basic 120v AC power wiring. When did this change?

When did contractors/electricians start running coax as part of "standard" house wiring?

How extensive was/is the practice? And is this still being done?

I suppose from an electricians point of view, coax would seem a whole heck of a lot more useful to a homeowner than CAT-5e ... :)

-irrational john

It's still not standard in many situations. In the US. Some developments where the builder is stamping out repetitive designs has it as an option. Most custom/spec houses will add it for what seems like an arm and a leg.

Much if what I've seen has been terrible. Likely because it WAS done by an electrician.

The Leviton system is what I've seen used most of the time.

And for my personal home I run 1 or 2 coax and 3 cat 5 to a drop. This way I can feed a TV signal back out to another location from a DVR or similar. And the Cat 5 gives 1 phone, 1 data, 1 spare, or mix and match as you see fit.

But as a standard practice. Not yet there.

I know I'm only one data point, but I've been running a 4 node MoCA network on Motorola NIM100 devices from ebay for well over 2 years. It's pretty reliable - a lot better than powerline and phoneline options out there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!