What's new

How do I access the system log of a mesh node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cjb4

Occasional Visitor
I have a mesh setup with a Asus GT-AX11000 and 2 ZenWiFi AX nodes with a wireless backhaul setup. One of the nodes drops out periodically for no apparent reason. It there a way to access the system log of the nodes? Nothing seems to show on the AX11000 system log at the time of the disconnect.

If you set up the primary node to send its log to an rsyslog server, then the remote nodes will do so as well. (At least, this is what I've found with an all-XT8 mesh.) Fill in an IP address in the "Remote Log Server" field in the System Log tab. It's not too hard to configure syslogd on a Linux machine to record traffic from the nodes.

When you're using wireless backhaul, it might be that log messages that need to traverse the backhaul link get dropped just when you need them most. So ideally you'd make sure that the rsyslog server has a wired connection to whichever node you're most worried about seeing the log of.

Thanks I‘ll try it. First without the wired backhaul as that would be a bit challenging. I’ll report back in case others might be interested.