What's new

How do I get wireless notebooks to see the NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BuffaloBob

New Around Here
I have 3 notebooks on a 5G wireless, all they see is the others on the wireless. I need to use the NAS on the wired house network. What do I do? In file manager I see the one of the other wireless notebooks. Is this something I need to set up in the NAS? Asus RT AC68p and Synology DS 214. Thanks in adv.....

Sorry found the Asus router forum after posting.....

I dunno, I guess the first thing is to make sure you're connecting on a "regular" SSID and not a "guest" SSID. If you're using "guest" then there's a tic box on the Asus config to allow guest users to see your intranet.

To me "notebook" is kinda generic, sometimes it means Windows, sometimes non-Windows.

I have a non-Windows Chromebook and had to load a file manager extension thingie in order to view my file server.

Maybe you can narrow it down a little by plugging a notebook into an Ethernet port on your router?

Last edited:
I have 3 notebooks on a 5G wireless, all they see is the others on the wireless. I need to use the NAS on the wired house network. What do I do? In file manager(on destop) I see the one of the other wireless notebooks. Is this something I need to set up in the NAS?

Just had another thought,,, How do I get my notebook(wireless) to see the destop in the office(wired)? Is this the same problem?

Everything is running Win 10

Asus RT AC68p and Synology DS 214. Thanks in adv.....
Is the AC68P used as a router and the only WIFI?

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Is the AC68P used as a router and the only WIFI?

Yes only router , their are others in the neighborhood almost all have had their name changed from default, and have passwords. but everything is set to my net name...(does the wireless get it's own net name?)

NAS and 3 destop hardwired, 3notebooks, tablets, phones on WIFI (slower stuff on 2.4G, others on 5G). Oh, 3 xboxone, 3 360's, and Wii..

It seems like they are only "seeing" what is on "their" net. desktops see all destops the NAS fine. nothing wireless does.. , I changed login/password, net name, channel, setup the wireless touched nothing else....

I dunno, I guess the first thing is to make sure you're connecting on a "regular" SSID and not a "guest" SSID. If you're using "guest" then there's a tic box on the Asus config to allow guest users to see your intranet.

To me "notebook" is kinda generic, sometimes it means Windows, sometimes non-Windows.

I have a non-Windows Chromebook and had to load a file manager extension thingie in order to view my file server.

Maybe you can narrow it down a little by plugging a notebook into an Ethernet port on your router?

I kinda used "notebook" in a generic sense to include all my notebooks all Win, ipads, tablets, phone, xboxes, Harmony Hub, ect. ..
didn't think of unpluggging something and hardwire a notebook..... Old n slow i guess thanks.
Maybe it's time to put in an old switch and run some wire........

in windows you have to open file explorer and map to the drive/folder just like any other server folder. If the NAS is running AFP protocol and accepts Bonjour inquiry, then Apple devices should find it. Otherwise have to map/mount to the server folder.

Make sure all your devices are using the same workgroup name. If you can configure a wins server do so.

There have been some issues with Win 10 not browsing for network resources. Make sure your Windows is up to date. Reset the network in the Windows machines if needed. The issue was with Windows not finding older SMB network devices. I seem to remember enabling SMB2 on NAS helped.

Last edited:
didn't think of unpluggging something and hardwire a notebook ...Maybe it's time to put in an old switch and run some wire...
Didn't mean to mislead you. I meant temporarily plug a "windows" notebook into a router port. If it still doesn't work it's likely a PC configuration issue. If it does work then start looking for router/WiFi issues.

I've been waiting for this topic to show up here:(
Last couple of Windows 10 updates, version 1709, has caused me and most others tons of networking problems.
It has to do with SMB v1 no longer on by default or totally removed in some versions of 10 and problems appears in different ways.
If you have update version 1709 of windows 10 look there.
In explorer I can no longer see my NAS units on my wired 10 PCs. On my Win 7 laptop wired or wireless explorer sees them fine.

I've been waiting for this topic to show up here:(
Last couple of Windows 10 updates, version 1709, has caused me and most others tons of networking problems.
It has to do with SMB v1 no longer on by default or totally removed in some versions of 10 and problems appears in different ways.
If you have update version 1709 of windows 10 look there.
In explorer I can no longer see my NAS units on my wired 10 PCs. On my Win 7 laptop wired or wireless explorer sees them fine.

I have no idea what SMB is... the notebook I am looking at is asking to update to 1709 atm... BTW I lived at Hudson and High on campus for 17yrs :), got tired of the snow so when I retired I moved to Vegas,, been a rough week tho with temps in the upper 60's and low 70's. I will do some digging to find out. Still have not had time to try the suggestion from Klueless to just plugin a notebook to the router.
Guess I will just kick someone off a comp this afternoon.

I have no idea what SMB is... the notebook I am looking at is asking to update to 1709 atm... BTW I lived at Hudson and High on campus for 17yrs :), got tired of the snow so when I retired I moved to Vegas,, been a rough week tho with temps in the upper 60's and low 70's. I will do some digging to find out. Still have not had time to try the suggestion from Klueless to just plugin a notebook to the router.
Guess I will just kick someone off a comp this afternoon.
SMB stands for Sever Message Block.Google is your friend:)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!