What's new

How do I make my Chromecast and other LAN devices see each other when my router's VPN client is activated to a VPN service provider?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

domic

Regular Contributor
Hi, is it possible to (I use Merlin latest stable firmware), let's say, paid VPN provider X via OpenVPN protocol, let local devices see each other while they all are connected to the internet via said VPN provider, so that I can for example, start Casting a streaming service from my phone to the Chromecast device while it still thinks it is in another country?

Currently I've managed to set up all LAN devices to share the same IP my VPN provider has given my router, but I don't know what Asuswrt VPN client settings to configure so that they can see each other normally.

IIRC Chromecast uses multicast so in theory it ought to work over the LAN regardless of whether the VPN is active or not.

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't the VPN only route traffic destined for somewhere outside of the LAN?

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't the VPN only route traffic destined for somewhere outside of the LAN?
Indeed.

I don't understand what he means by "I've managed to set up all LAN devices to share the same IP my VPN provider has given my router".

Hi, is it possible to (I use Merlin latest stable firmware), let's say, paid VPN provider X via OpenVPN protocol, let local devices see each other while they all are connected to the internet via said VPN provider, so that I can for example, start Casting a streaming service from my phone to the Chromecast device while it still thinks it is in another country?

Currently I've managed to set up all LAN devices to share the same IP my VPN provider has given my router, but I don't know what Asuswrt VPN client settings to configure so that they can see each other normally.p

LAN devices are not isolated from each other when on the VPN.

Something is wrong with your setup if this is happening to you.

Sorry, I meant that if I run a 'curl ifconfig.me' command on all my LAN devices, I get an IP adress that isn't from my ISP, but from the VPN service provider. (ExpressVPN for example) so it looks like I'm in another country.

As previously stated the Chromecast ought to work over the LAN regardless of whether the router's VPN is active or not.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!