What's new

How do I make the ethernet connection more stable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jusjohn55

Regular Contributor
My router is the Asus AX82U. When I plug in one computer to it via ethernet, the speed is fine. Once I plug in two devices however, the speeds become much more unstable. Is there a way to make the router support 2 devices easier through ethernet? The cable is a 60 foot cat8 ethernet cable I got on Amazon and from what I read, cat8 is stable up to 30 meters which is around 90 foot.

Also, my motherboard has the Intel ethernet controller I225-V and when I uninstall it to try and reset the drivers it won't redownload after restarting the PC. Yet, the motherboard will redownload the wifi drivers just fine so I am not sure if the ethernet controller is corrupt.

Will link aggregation work? If so, how does it work on a Asus router? In addition, my motherboard is an Asus Rog Strix z490e so is cat8 just not compatible with the ethernet connector built into it? Is it fine that the ethernet connector kinda wiggles a little bit in the ethernet port of the motherboard? It is snug tight in the router though.

Last edited:
Cat8? Get a quality set of Cat5e cables instead. Too many variables with cables manufactured to no known/agreed to specifications.

Cat8? Get a quality set of Cat5e cables instead. Too many variables with cables manufactured to no known/agreed to specifications.
Cat8 is the newest standard I thought? Do you have a recommendation for a good Cat5e cable that is around 60 feet? Will it still be stable at 60 feet? Would a cat 6e do better? Is it ok that the ethernet connector at the end kinda wiggles a little bit in the motherboard ethernet slot or should it be a tight fit? @L&LD

I think you may have to rule out the cables.. can you move the machine next to the router
and connect it with a small patch cable? Check the connector and pins on the cable you brought with a magnifying glass...maybe one of the connectors is damaged.

So anyone have a good recommendation for cat 5e thats 60 feet? I am seeing that cat 5e is more stable than cat8

Cat5e, Cat6, or Cat6a 'STP' (not UTP) is recommended for the shorter lengths usually found in a home.

I am using Cat5e 100' as the 2.5GbE backhaul between two RT-AX86U's with no issues (and getting the speeds I expect).

There is no such thing as Cat6e Ethernet cable except maybe as a marketing stunt. Don't buy the highest 'class', rather, buy the highest quality 'STP' cable from a reputable company instead.

The highest quality in the USA can be mentioned by @Trip if he can chime in here for us (sorry, I don't remember that specific brand right now).

Cat5e, Cat6, or Cat6a 'STP' (not UTP) is recommended for the shorter lengths usually found in a home.

I am using Cat5e 100' as the 2.5GbE backhaul between two RT-AX86U's with no issues (and getting the speeds I expect).

There is no such thing as Cat6e Ethernet cable except maybe as a marketing stunt. Don't buy the highest 'class', rather, buy the highest quality 'STP' cable from a reputable company instead.

The highest quality in the USA can be mentioned by @Trip if he can chime in here for us (sorry, I don't remember that specific brand right now).
So do you recommend cat 5e or cat6? Will a 75 ft cat 5e ethernet cable not affect the speed at all? Because I am trying to find a 60ft but it seems reputable places like Monoprice only sell 50 or 75ft @L&LD Thank you for answering btw

You have no choice with the length. You need to buy at minimum, what you need.

If this cable run will be easily accessible and upgradable in the future, I would choose the Cat5e cable. If it will be sealed behind (expensive to re-finish) walls, I would buy the highest quality Cat6a 'STP' cable you can afford.

You have no choice with the length. You need to buy at minimum, what you need.

If this cable run will be easily accessible and upgradable in the future, I would choose the Cat5e cable. If it will be sealed behind (expensive to re-finish) walls, I would buy the highest quality Cat6a 'STP' cable you can afford.
Will the difference between 60 ft and 75 ft for a ethernet cable cause any noticeable effects?

None. For any quality cable you buy. :)

Ok, this is my final question, I am probably going for a cat6a. Do I need a better device for connecting my PCs via ethernet to? I have the AX82U currently and I am not sure if two computers connected to it via ethernet will cause instability issues. I see those switches that come with like 10 ethernet ports but is that really needed if I only have 2 computers connected to the router?

It shouldn't be needed, no. The 'Switch' part of any router today is fully baked. The cables you are using seem to be the issues from the descriptions so far. If new cables show the same symptoms, the following is what I would suggest then (of course, you can do this before you buy the cables too).

Fully Reset Router and Network

New M&M 2020

If doing all the above (cables, resets, etc.) show the same issues, the only other question I would have is how are the desktop computers configured?

Are they running the latest Windows 10 20H2 OS Build 19042.746 version? Have they been rebooted/restarted recently (not just shut down and then powered up again)?

Does going to the following website show any updates for your devices (after letting it install the utility it needs to check your pc with)?

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant

@L&LD I have something to ask. What is the difference between these two cables? Idk which one to get.

Or this one https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11276

They seem the same yet they are being marketed differently.

5e ???????? OK Boomer;)

I don't know Monoprice products. I can't give an opinion on them. Except, they are not data cable manufacturers.

I've been buying from Monoprice for years both personally and professionally. Yes they use overseas manufacturers but their stuff is of a higher quality than all the other cheap stuff. Also, their customer service is top notch. I've only had one issue over the years and they immediately replaced it no questions asked.

Not the 'ringing endorsement' for a quality data cable manufacturer I would be looking for, but it may still be better than the 'Cat8' snake oil cables currently being used.

I've been buying from Monoprice for years both personally and professionally. Yes they use overseas manufacturers but their stuff is of a higher quality than all the other cheap stuff. Also, their customer service is top notch. I've only had one issue over the years and they immediately replaced it no questions asked.
@bluzfanmr1 So what is the difference between the two cables from the links?