What's new

Entware How does Entware Start on AX86U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

atkinsom

I'm trying to figure out how entware and transmission starts on my AX86U Pro. I installed entware through AMTM and transmission using the opkg command and everything seems to be fine including the swap file which is available after a reboot. On my old AC68U there was a script in jffs called services-start that would start the rc.unslung script that seemed to point to entware. On the new AX86U there is no services-start yet there is a services-stop which stops rc.unslung. Again everything appears to be working even after a reboot. Can someone explain to me how entware starts or is made aware of it's existence in the merlin router software as opposed to my old AC68U running John's Fork. See below the services-start on my old AC68U (created automatically by the entware script at the time) that doesn't exist on the AX86U. Thanks again for any insights. Cheers.

#!/bin/sh
# old AC68U services-start script

sleep 10
RC='/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung'

i=30
until [ -x "$RC" ] ; do
i=$(($i-1))
if [ "$i" -lt 1 ] ; then
logger "Could not start Entware-NG"
exit
fi
sleep 5
done
$RC start

Entware is a repository of packages and opkg is the package manager. This is my services-start script on an AX86U Pro
#!/bin/sh cru a root_servers "12 4 * * * curl -o \/opt\/var\/lib\/unbound\/root\.hints https://www.internic.net/domain/named.cache" # unbound_manager /jffs/scripts/YazDHCP startup "$@" & # YazDHCP /jffs/scripts/scmerlin startup & # scMerlin /jffs/addons/amtm/ledcontrol -set # Added by amtm sh /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos mountui # CakeQOS-Merlin

I'm trying to figure out how entware and transmission starts on my AX86U Pro. I installed entware through AMTM and transmission using the opkg command and everything seems to be fine including the swap file which is available after a reboot. On my old AC68U there was a script in jffs called services-start that would start the rc.unslung script that seemed to point to entware. On the new AX86U there is no services-start yet there is a services-stop which stops rc.unslung. Again everything appears to be working even after a reboot. Can someone explain to me how entware starts or is made aware of it's existence in the merlin router software as opposed to my old AC68U running John's Fork.

If you installed entware via Diversion (or probably amtm does the same) check the /jffs/scripts/post-mount file
Thats where mine calls another script that loads entware.

If you installed entware via Diversion (or probably amtm does the same) check the /jffs/scripts/post-mount file
Thats where mine calls another script that loads entware.
Diversion and amtm use the same method and file to start Entware and its enabled services.
post-mount sources /jffs/addons/amtm/mount-entware.div

Thank you everyone for your detailed explanations. Cheers

I was going to say the method in the OP initial post is the Pre- @thelonelycoder way. I remember the whole debate about where entware start should be located.
AB-Solution used the same nightmare of two scripts. One mounting Entware, the other (as in OPs post) starting services. See the sleep(s) and until loop? My oh my. Those were the bad butt days, unreliable and hard to troubleshoot.
I came up with what I use in amtm and Diversion today during coding of the latter. Works 100% of the time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!