What's new

How good is ax86u Mesh over wifi?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Thinking of buying a second ax86u for upstairs, will be about 15 foot away from main, through a ceiling/wall.

I can't do wired where it's going.

Anyone tried this? whats the performance like ?

Thanks Matt

Thinking of buying a second ax86u for upstairs, will be about 15 foot away from main, through a ceiling/wall.

I can't do wired where it's going.

Anyone tried this? whats the performance like ?

Thanks Matt
Hi Matt, I am running AIMesh with an AX86U as my main router in the house and an AC68P (same as AC68U) as the node. The node is located about 175' away, thru windows in the house and workshop. Off the AX86U I'm getting around 93 Mbps down and about 50 Mbps up on a 100/55 VDSL line. Out at the node I get about 10-20% less than that. The wi-fi backhaul for some reason always connect on the 5GHz band.

Hope this helps

will be about 15 foot away from main, through a ceiling/wall.

That seems too close. Your clients may be sticking to one of the routers all the time. Based on my wireless AiMesh tests, you need about -65dBm between the routers for better roaming. What's the signal/speed upstairs with one router only?

Hi Matt, I am running AIMesh with an AX86U as my main router in the house and an AC68P (same as AC68U) as the node. The node is located about 175' away, thru windows in the house and workshop. Off the AX86U I'm getting around 93 Mbps down and about 50 Mbps up on a 100/55 VDSL line. Out at the node I get about 10-20% less than that. The wi-fi backhaul for some reason always connect on the 5GHz band.

Hope this helps
Helps a lot thanks, I think I will go for it at some point when I have £220 free.

What's the signal/speed upstairs with one router only?
The far end of the house not great, kids complain their phones dont connect, hence the current repeater. I might put the second one in the loft, even further away to cover the whole top floor.

Helps a lot thanks, I think I will go for it at some point when I have £220 free.

The far end of the house not great, kids complain their phones dont connect, hence the current repeater. I might put the second one in the loft, even further away to cover the whole top floor.
Are you using Smart Connect? Or could you put them on a 2.4Ghz Guest SSID and see if that improves things?

2 AX 86Us? That seems like overkill to me :)

BD, I know the feeling. I liked my first AX86U so much that I was looking for reasons why I needed a second one and then another, etc.. and I ended up replacing all the existing Wifi routers that I managed and then kept going. I'm currently at seven AX86Us. :D

Last edited:
BD, I know the feeling. I liked my first AX86U so much that I was looking for reasons why I needed a second one and then another, etc.. and I ended up replacing all the existing Wifi routers that I managed and then kept going. I'm cuconsrrently at seven AX86Us. :D
Addicted to AX 86Us You need to see someone :). Especially considering a pair of CD6s will cost you £120. Granted, it wont give you AX around the entire house but you'll still get 500Mbps which is plenty for most. You'll even get 1GB if you backhaul and use the spare LAN port it has.

Addicted to AX 86Us You need to see someone :). Especially considering a pair of CD6s will cost you £120. Granted, it wont give you AX around the entire house but you'll still get 500Mbps which is plenty for most. You'll even get 1GB if you backhaul and use the spare LAN port it has.
I know it sounds bad but they are for different locations and most are business related. I do have an AX86U addiction though and I admit it. I'm certain I'm not the only one. Someone should start an AX86U addiction help thread in this forum. o_O

I know it sounds bad but they are for different locations and most are business related. I do have an AX86U addiction though and I admit it. I'm certain I'm not the only one. Someone should start an AX86U addiction help thread in this forum. o_O
Sounds good to me, as I ponder my second one.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!