What's new

How Hot is your USB key?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HI.

I noticed that the USB key I use for the "Persistent JFFS2 partition" on my RT-AX88U gets very hot. I do not have an infrared thermometer to get a precise value, but it feels hot when you touch it. In fact, my USB disk recently stopped working and I had to replace it.
Do you guys have similar problems?
My solution (which works great in terms of temperature) so far was to buy a key with a metallic case, use an USB extension cord to take it out from the router, and place the USB key on an aluminium plate in order to dissipate heat.
The thing is that that USB key is used as an hard drive (continuous access, swap file) while I do not think that commercial USB key are designed for that. I know there are some industry grade USB key but they are very expensive.
I would like to hear your tights and comments on this.

My Samsung Fit 64GB drive runs at 81-84 Fahrenheit according to my infrared thermometer.

When you first format an load it, it does run hotter but settles down. I only use it for scripts.

I'm not using any exotic cooling. Have used the same model in 6 units and have not had any failures yet.

I also use the 5GB swap file size over the other choices. The 10GB swap is a waste of time and unneeded for my use, I've experimented with the larger sizes when they were first introduced in AMTM.

What's wrong with this?

View attachment 45405

AMTM compatible. :)

I hope you're doing this properly and applying a small amount of thermal past to the USB metal jacket!:D

Of course. Polish the surfaces first to mirror finish, clean with 99% alcohol, apply Arctic Silver, maintain constant pressure with the special tape.

What!! No silver solder?

Regarding the cable color, I don't know. I use aviation speed tape to cover all my cables to maintain the Data/Speed Integrity of my high speed LAN. Now that's some science!
I sincerely apologize for breaking the simple rule of Reading All Post. I'm so distraught at my foolish purchase of the GT-AX6000. I did zero research into new breakthroughs in router technology, such as Mirror Tech, and blindly bought the router that fulfilled my needs.

@Tech9 are you still open for initial investors? Let me check about selling some of my WorldComm or Enron stock to Kickstart your fabulous device!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!