What's new

How i release my ip address from RT-N66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fizzy_Amp

Occasional Visitor
Yesterday i ran an program called command prompt to release my PC's ip address, it did not directly to my router's change IP. I don't seeing any options from my router's GUI like "Release IP" or "Renew IP". I would like to know where is.

Thanks.

Last edited:
DHCP leases can only be released by the client. There is no standard way for a DHCP server to force a client to release its IP.

There is nothing that can or needs to be done at the router end. I assume "command prompt" you mean you ran cmd followed by ipconfig /release. That right?
What is it you are trying to do anyway?

There is nothing that can or needs to be done at the router end. I assume "command prompt" you mean you ran cmd followed by ipconfig /release. That right?
What is it you are trying to do anyway?

I need to release my ip address due of bad connection, i wondering if someone stolen my ip or some reasons it has flickering. Any ideas i can fix my router to stop bad connection?

This is my normal speed: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2971807237.png

And it getting worse now: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3176234606.png

Renewal of IP addresses is not related to bad connections.

Anyway, renewal of the client (your computer) IP address is allready mentioned, and can be done in the computer (Windows) Command window, using the "ipconfig /renew" command.

Renewal of the IP address at the WAN side of your router is something you cannot force and is usually controlled by your ISP, you may try to power down modem and router for extensive time (few hours) and turn on again, sometimes this may result in an other address be assigned by your ISP.

Changing the router local LAN IP address (default 192.168.1.1) is a manual action through the router configuration page. If there is only one router or access point in your network, the default should be fine.

When you say bad connetion: is that disconnecting of your router from the Internet or disconnecting of your computer from the router?

Disconnecting of the computer from the router is usually due to wireless signal issues, by signal range problems, neighbor disturbance or firmware issues.
If you have the computer wired to the router it should practically never disconnect, unless there is a problem with the auto-negotiate process that determines the link speed and full- or half duplex mode. How is your computer connected to the router?

Disconnecting the router from the Internet is usually due to ISP or modem problems. Check the status lights of your modem, it should tell you if it is happily online or not. If the modem can't stay connnected you first need to check your inhouse cabling, or need the help of your ISP. If the modem stays online, and the router lost connection, (assuming the router WAN Connection Type configuration is ok) check the cable between modem and router.

Last edited:
"release my ip address due of bad connection,"?? Which IP? The one assigned by your ISP provider or the one on your PC (i.e. 192.xx.xx.xx). If I understand you correctly, you released your PC IP via a command prompt. That will do nothing to fix your problem. In fact, gettting a new IP be it from your ISP (try turning off your modem for at least 10 minutes) or a new local IP for your PC (" cmd ipconfig /release") will not fix your problem.:confused:

wouterv said:
Renewal of IP addresses is not related to bad connections.

Anyway, renewal of the client (your computer) IP address is allready mentioned, and can be done in the computer (Windows) Command window, using the "ipconfig /renew" command.

Renewal of the IP address at the WAN side of your router is something you cannot force and is usually controlled by your ISP, you may try to power down modem and router for extensive time (few hours) and turn on again, sometimes this may result in an other address be assigned by your ISP.

Changing the router local LAN IP address (default 192.168.1.1) is a manual action through the router configuration page. If there is only one router or access point in your network, the default should be fine.

When you say bad connetion: is that disconnecting of your router from the Internet or disconnecting of your computer from the router?

Disconnecting of the computer from the router is usually due to wireless signal issues, by signal range problems, neighbor disturbance or firmware issues.
If you have the computer wired to the router it should practically never disconnect, unless there is a problem with the auto-negotiate process that determines the link speed and full- or half duplex mode. How is your computer connected to the router?

Disconnecting the router from the Internet is usually due to ISP or modem problems. Check the status lights of your modem, it should tell you if it is happily online or not. If the modem can't stay connnected you first need to check your inhouse cabling, or need the help of your ISP. If the modem stays online, and the router lost connection, (assuming the router WAN Connection Type configuration is ok) check the cable between modem and router.

I have only one router, i would try if i can change router's ip instead of last digit "1".

EDIT: Look like its working now, hopefully that's will be longer as work well. I will let you know within 24 hours. http://www.speedtest.net/result/3179737434.png

cdikland said:
"release my ip address due of bad connection,"? Which IP? The one assigned by your ISP provider or the one on your PC (i.e. 192.xx.xx.xx). If I understand you correctly, you released your PC IP via a command prompt. That will do nothing to fix your problem. In fact, gettting a new IP be it from your ISP (try turning off your modem for at least 10 minutes) or a new local IP for your PC (" cmd ipconfig /release") will not fix your problem.

I called my ISP just recently this week to changed new IP already, so they said wouldn't able to communicate through my router, in the area they checked if another person has same issue, but it wasn't. At my point, it's on my router problem. few days ago i figured out workaround on my router, it may there called "Specified IP" from Administration section, i put every devices' IP that connected wired only, not wireless. Finally it has worked to avoid of bad connection only works in 5-6 hours before it has came back again, not ISP's fault i should not think. I'm really so puzzling about it now.

Last edited:
I am glad to hear that the issue seems to be fixed for now, by what ever you did :)
If the problem reoccurs, try to decribe what exactly the problem is (does the router disconnects from the Internet or does the computer disconnects from the router).