What's new

How inadyn works

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dabombber

I've been looking at inadyn and it seems a little inconsistent. From what I can tell, ddns-start is always called, and if you set your DDNS server setting to anything but custom or www.oray.com inadyn is used. I think it would be better to have them both called all the time, or at least check if there's a /jffs/configs/inadyn.conf file.

Actually the inadyn.conf file seems a bit useless since it'll override the webui settings if present, and you can just set your own config if you're running inadyn manually. If only the inadyn.conf.add file was allowed it'd make a lot more sense.

I could be wrong but there seems to be no need to any global settings either? The wiki says
Code:
ca-trust-file   = /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
iterations = 1
period = 300
But the trust file is set by default anyway, iterations could be avoided by calling calling using "-once" here, and period is irrelevant since it's only run once.

I've been looking at inadyn and it seems a little inconsistent. From what I can tell, ddns-start is always called, and if you set your DDNS server setting to anything but custom or www.oray.com inadyn is used. I think it would be better to have them both called all the time, or at least check if there's a /jffs/configs/inadyn.conf file.

Actually the inadyn.conf file seems a bit useless since it'll override the webui settings if present, and you can just set your own config if you're running inadyn manually. If only the inadyn.conf.add file was allowed it'd make a lot more sense.

I could be wrong but there seems to be no need to any global settings either? The wiki says
Code:
ca-trust-file   = /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
iterations = 1
period = 300
But the trust file is set by default anyway, iterations could be avoided by calling calling using "-once" here, and period is irrelevant since it's only run once.

Hello Dabombber,
Remember the "DDNS custom script for use with asus.com" thread with leechpool.
Ans as I said, I wish to wake on lan and it works. Except in case of change of public IP, in this case, the update is not done and the WOW does not work anymore. I have to restart the router.
In the end, I have the same problem as leechpool: double NAT. So I'm looking at his scripts.
But at the URL: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/DDNS-Sample-Scripts#asus, Rmerlin points out 2 things:
1) to use "External": but a warning message (in the UI web) warns that this can block remote services and therefore the WOW no longer works for me. (I use the port transfer).
2) that ez-ipupdate has been replaced by In-a-Dyn. But Leechpool uses ez-ipupdate in his scripts.
And I don't know if Leechpool, does it always work with its scripts or have it changed since?

So I don't know what to do because I don't know how to manage with In-a-Dyn in the scripts instead of and to replace ez-ipupdate ???

While using an External check might allow DDNS to reflect the correct IP address, this might still interfere with remote access services
I think this is just saying that it won't magically fix NAT issues, but it should still be the best option for DDNS. Is your DDNS set correctly when you select external? That'd be the first step to fixing any problems.

As for WOW I'll start with the common sense for any LAN service over WAN, have you considered running a VPN? If that's not possible or just not what you want, you might need to paste the scripts specific to your WOW setup to get help.

Last edited:
Hello Dabombber,
Sorry to be long...too much job and I have to change my NAS in warranty...

I can't answer to your question. It seems that my DDNS is set correctly with external since WOW is working after an asus router restart.
Yes, I use OpenVPN.
Actually, everything is working. BUT, when the public IP changes, it doesn't work anymore. And I have to restart my asus router in order the WOW working again.

Summary :
My NAS Internet adress :
bef.asuscomm.com
bef.synology.me

Setting up my Cisco X3000 modem in NAT:
External port: X00X
internal port: X00X
destination IP address: 192.168.001.153 (Asus Router)

Setting up my Asus router:
Advanced WAN content:
1) Port forwarding:
- External port: X00X
- Internal port: X
- Internal IP address: 192.168.002.101 (my NAS address)
2) DDNS:
- Method to retrieve WAN IP: external
- Server: www.asus.com
- Host name: bef.asuscomm.com

To shut down my NAS remotly (4G):
- Using OpenVPN Connect on my mobile phone:
1) On the NAS / Control Panel / External Access / I added a DDNS with the hostname bef.synology.me
2) using OpenVPN Connect on my mobile phone to launch my OpenVPN Profile, with this hostname
3) using DSFINDER to connect to my NAS and to shut it down
4) Effectively, the NAS goes out.

To turn on my NAS remotly (4G):
- using "WOL - Wake on Lan Wan":
1) I use the hostname bef.asuscomm.com
2) I send the magic pack
3) The NAS turns on

Conclusion :
Unfortunately, when the public IP number changes, the WOW no longer works. I am forced to restart by hand my Asus router so that it takes into account the change of public IP number.

I'm not really too sure why that'd happen. Check the logs to see if your router is detecting a wan event and triggering the ddns update. It could also be that you have the old IP cached on your phone, or it's slow to update, maybe check http://iplookup.asus.com/nslookup.php after a change.