What's new

How ISP affect my safety.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

podkaracz

I would like to ask what happens to me if for example my ISP gets hacked. Am i done the exact moment this happens or there are ways to secure myself?

I would like to ask what happens to me if for example my ISP gets hacked. Am i done the exact moment this happens or there are ways to secure myself?

Yes go buy a suit of chain armor and wrap yourself in it

What sort of hack are you worried about?
Im just trying to understand if my safety is exclusevly depending on me or there are areas that user have no impact on and it needs to be trusted. Im writing this thread to understand what will happen with customers when isp gets hacked. Whats the impact on my security if my isp is not protected and gets hacked for example. I was trying to find answer on web but nothing interesting came up.

Again, you need to define what you mean by "hacked". If your personal information is stolen, then you are at risk for identity theft. If the ISP's network is compromised so that a bad actor can be inserted to monitor your traffic, that's a different risk profile.

I don't think ISPs think of themselves as responsible for protecting your network or your data. Check your Terms of Service. In the end, your internet security is primarily up to you.

If the ISP's network is compromised so that a bad actor can be inserted to monitor your traffic, that's a different risk profile.
Is there a way to secure myself from something like this? If attacker has control over my isp and sees what im doing is it possible for him to hack me in any way?

Of course it's possible. I can't advise you further since I'm not an expert in this area.

What sort of hack are you worried about?

• DNS poisoning - let's redirect traffic to some undesirable site (drive by malware for example)
  • BGP hacks (let's route traffic to some hostile country on it's way)
  • Subscriber Database exposure (let's grab all the sub info, passwords, etc)

Just a couple of things off the top of my head...

Your router protects you and your internal network. So, it all depends on the settings you use (firewall, open ports, DNS, etc)

In general, your ISP has little impact on your network, unless you use their DNS and other services.

If your user info is compromised, then that's a different issue, same as any company being "hacked", but has no direct link to the security of your internal network.

• DNS poisoning - let's redirect traffic to some undesirable site (drive by malware for example)
  • BGP hacks (let's route traffic to some hostile country on it's way)
  • Subscriber Database exposure (let's grab all the sub info, passwords, etc)

Just a couple of things off the top of my head...

So if i dont use my isp dns server im preventing the first kind of attack (or if i dont use dot or doh at router level then im still vulnerable?). And how to protect against second and third threat that you mentioned?

I think it is hard for anyone to hack the ISP, but I think the issue will be with your own internal network

This is actually a very valid point when it comes to risk assessment with anything related to security. It's always a matter of balance between effort vs reward. Someone wouldn't use dynamite to open your front door and steal your computer (despite the current value of GPUs), but someone might to open a bank vault and steal $10M dollars.

In this case, someone wouldn't hack an ISP just to steal the browsing data of their customers. But they might if they need to steal the financial information of a multi-billion dollar company. Effort vs reward.

(Edit: removed the reference to the removed post)

Last edited:
@podkaracz This thread has run its course. You are not going to get the answers you are looking for and you are now being rude and antagonistic toward others. I've removed the antagonistic posts, locked the thread and you have earned a 1 week ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.