What's new

How long is it safe to use a unsupported Asus router security wise ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ng4ever

Regular Contributor
Do they still provide security updates or no ?

It is from 2016 I know I can't think a company will support it forever.

That router is already two WiFi generations behind the times (it must be 802.11ac wave 1 at best), so unless all your client devices are also half a dozen years old, you probably should be thinking about an upgrade on performance grounds.

Having said that, whether it's a security problem depends hugely on how you're using it and what your environment is, which you didn't say. Is the thing actually your primary internet firewall, or are you just using it as an AP behind some other router? Are you allowing any sort of remote admin access (IMO, a bad idea even for a fully-patched system)? Are you expecting it to provide a walled-off guest network? Are you worried about neighbors trying to break into your wifi?

That router is already two WiFi generations behind the times (it must be 802.11ac wave 1 at best), so unless all your client devices are also half a dozen years old, you probably should be thinking about an upgrade on performance grounds.

Having said that, whether it's a security problem depends hugely on how you're using it and what your environment is, which you didn't say. Is the thing actually your primary internet firewall, or are you just using it as an AP behind some other router? Are you allowing any sort of remote admin access (IMO, a bad idea even for a fully-patched system)? Are you expecting it to provide a walled-off guest network? Are you worried about neighbors trying to break into your wifi?
Good thoughts!

I am using it as a extension to a AI Mesh with a more updated router that still receives firmware updates. It is not the main router.

I am using it as a extension to a AI Mesh with a more updated router that still receives firmware updates. It is not the main router.

If it's just an AP then it's not particularly security-exposed, unless you have guests or nearby neighbors that you don't trust and think might have mad tech skillz. Personally I would not worry too much about that kind of threat as long as you've got a non-guessable wifi password. Units that are directly exposed to the wild wild internet need a better security posture, though.