What's new

How much bandwidth throughput should I expect on Meraki MR58N?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tomgtv

New Around Here
I have an 11 AP Meraki network running in SW Florida. The gateway
is a Meraki MR58 (triple radio b/g/n). I'm feeding it a Comcast biz
class svc that shows 19Mbs/3.1Mbs when measured at the modem.

I am only seeing 6.1Mbs/2.75Mbs on a N laptop within 10 feet of the
gateway (which is wired via Cat5 to the modem).

Shouldn't I be seeing more of the download speed? Meraki tech support just evades the question.

Side note: I have another MR58 about .25 miles across a golf course. I'm getting 29.8Mbs between the gateway MR58 and this MR58 consistently. I'm using flat panel antennas on the 5.6mhz bandwidth to basically "throw" the bandwidth into the center of the property. I've had over 100 concurrent users, most are running about 2Mbs/1Mbs.

What's the adapter in the N laptop? Are you using WPA2/AES security or no security?

Tom,

To answer your initial question, using 802.11n, the bandwidth (theoretical data rate, not throughput) of the MR58 is 150 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 300 Mbps on 5 GHz.

I'm glad we researched the issue together to get to the bottom of what was happening. After running several extensive wired and wireless speed tests, we found that the wired-side throughput of the access point maxed out at 3-4.5 Mbps, limiting the access point's wireless throughput to an average of 3 Mbps. The access point can definitely handle greater throughput, but it's being throttled by the wired network. If you can improve the wired-side speed, then you'll experience faster wireless speeds too.

If you need further assistance, feel free to contact me.

--
Ahmed
Meraki, Inc
support [at] meraki [dot] com