What's new

How often should you power cycle?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

After physically disconnecting the 2nd IPS cable and turning off dual wan My 88u has been up over 18 days without issue, however in the past two days the syslog has exploded with entries from months gone by that were cleared out before the current reboot. Otherwise they don't seem to be affecting performance any so I can't complain.

I never power cycle the router.

Last winter we had a power outage that lasted for nine hours so the UPS could not sustain the router for that long.

Router has been up 24/7 since that outage without reboot.

Capture.JPG

I never physically "power cycle", but if you mean reboot I use the scheduler to reboot every 6AM.

I'll disagree with other posters who say "why?" by saying "why not?"

It may not help, but it certainly doesn't hurt. If there are memory leaks, or other bugs in the firmware (and aren't there always?) a reboot will likely mitigate them.

After observing this units behavior with the last two fw versions I've enabled the reboot scheduler for each Sunday to clear out the used ram because if I don't it continues to grow until I do reboot.

That is only if you are affected and I do not see Asus on that list.

The known devices affected by VPNFilter are Linksys, MikroTik, NETGEAR and TP-Link networking equipment in the small and home office (SOHO) space, as well at QNAP network-attached storage (NAS) devices. No other vendors, including Cisco, have been observed as infected by VPNFilter, but our research continues.

never unless required

My friend asked me this the other day. Typically I do it weekly or bi weekly. But he says he does it once a month. So what is the recommend amount?

I used to use a mechanical lamp timer to reboot my router and cable modem every night. Cable modems used to be particularly flakey, but not so much anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never unless required.

Uptime last week was 210 days, before I had to reboot when a mis-configured access point caused a network storm.

The Merlin build has been very stable for me. I am currently using RT-AC66U running Merlin 380.68_4, planning to update shortly.

I reboot my pfSense router when there are security oriented updates - pretty much the only time.

Came here to say this. Rebooting should only be needed for security patching. Having an up time over 90 days,180 days, 2 years, etc is asking to be compromised. Rebooting daily is a waste or says to me something is unstable.

A router has only to run, without reset or other manual intervention!

Others dont want a router but want to get a toy to play around all the day, different requirements ...

Haaaaaaa

A reboot isn't gonna save you. This countermeasure is only effective for stopping the known C2 domain after the FBI seized control. The malware is still persistent just cant talk. Roll the bot herder to new domains and you're back the same boat

See
Brief technical breakdown @ https://blog.talosintelligence.com/2018/05/VPNFilter.html

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!