What's new

How to access my PC files from outside with nPlayer app

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CyberDynamite

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

First of all, you should know that I am a newbie in networks. I succeeded in certain configurations, not without having to break my head but good.

My goal here is to try to successfully connect remotely with nPlayer app on my iPhone to all of the following devices:
1- Synology NAS - Access is done
2- WD Mycloud NAS - Access is done
3- Laptop - Unable to configure it properly

I have a Synology NAS and a WD Mycloud. I can access both of my devices remotely over the internet with the nplayer app without any problems. I use the nPlayer application on my iPhone with Webdav for my Synology NAS and SMB/CIFS for the WD Mycloud. (I opened ports and used port forwarding so everything worked).

I am now trying to configure my laptop and router so that I can connect and access my video files on my laptop remotely with the nPlayer app too, but I cannot. I don't know if I should use Webdav or SMB/CIFS or a FTP connection and how to configure all that.

I recently got an Asus GT-AX11000 router and read that everything could be easy to configure what I'm trying to do using my router's VPN. However, I just can't figure out how to do it.

Can someone help me?

Last edited:
Have you physically opened up access to your NAS devices over the open internet? Turn those off immediately.

Use OpenVPN to more securely connect back to your network and then access those files as if you were home instead. (Use your router as a single connection point, do not put an OpenVPN server on each device).

Thanks. I'd like to but I cannot figure out on how to do it with OpenVPN only. I'm all mixed up with the different configuration explanations over the net. I saw stuff about routing and it's chinese for me. I would really need somebody to guide me with the necessary steps to follow.

Don't look 'all over the 'net'. :)

Start with baby steps, learn, and ask questions as necessary.

First, what router and firmware are you running? Start an instance of OpenVPN Server and see if you can connect to it (do not test from within your network). The rest will be child's play.

I have a Asus Rapture GT-AX11000 with the latest FW 3.0.0.4.386_46065

1- I did setup OpenVPN server (without using advanced options).
2- I exported the configuration file.
3- I installed OpenVPN client app on my iPhone and imported the configuration file.
4- I clicked on "Connect" and it's working.

Note: I did'nt know how to add clients in my OpenVPN server. I just connected with my iPhone using the admin user and the router password and it just worked. I guess it's not the right way to do it for this part as well.

Now, how can I access from my nPlayer app on my iPhone to my PC files (which has a local IP) ? Which protocol do I use: Webdav or SMB/CIFS or a FTP?

FYI: The rest might be childplay for you but not for me! lol

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!