What's new

How to auto-restart remote clients (an Asus RT-AC68U) OpenVPN client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK I've go that file.

I think I'm loosing track of what problem we're trying to diagnose now. In the beginning you said the client was loosing connection when you rebooted the server. Now we seem to be talking about an issue after rebooting the client router. They're two different issues (if indeed the original issue exists at all).
Ok I understand, let me then recap once more, but with fewer details since you are already aware that it is two routers, different models, different geo locations, where EU client connects to US-based server. However, originally both routers were booting at the exact same time. Why? Well, first both were on the exact same NTP, and I had cron jobs to reboot at 3 am running on both ends. I reported that VPN connection doesn"t get re-established at the time of reboot.

As part of troubleshooting we agreed, that I need to place the EU rt on EU time and leave the US on EDT where the US one is located. Then I set up EU one to reboot at 1 am CET (which is 19:00 US EDT) and US one at 3 am (EU 9 am CET) respectively. So completely different times.In either case client doesn"t reconnect.

You asked me for logs when reboots happened and I passed along....now I also added cron job to restart the VPN Client1 at 8 am CET (US 2 am EDT) to see will do the trick for me. It would not fix the fact that the feature to restart the connection on the client side is enabled doesn't work, but would give me a workaround so I have my VPN up during the time frame I need it on the EU side.

Hope now it again makes sense. Thank you.

OK So the thing I'm interested in next is what happens with the VPN client at 9 am CET tomorrow. That's when the server side goes down.

OK So the thing I'm interested in next is what happens with the VPN client at 9 am CET tomorrow. That's when the server side goes down.
I will try to capture log as it happens since I am a vampire and go to bed late, but if I don't I sure hope it didn't flip till around 9am EDT when I am up.

Thanks. That looks OK.

The problem after the reboot is that the router is cancelling the queued VPN start:
Rich (BB code):
Sep  2 19:10:47 rc_service: ntpd_synced 984:notify_rc start_vpnclient1
Sep  2 19:10:47 rc_service: waitting "restart_firewall" via  ...
Sep  2 19:10:47 rc_service: skip the event: stop_ntpd.
Sep  2 19:10:47 rc_service: wanduck 239:notify_rc start_ntpd
Sep  2 19:11:02 rc_service: skip the event: start_vpnclient1.
Sep  2 19:11:02 rc_service: skip the event: start_ntpd.

I don't know why it's doing that but it sounds the same as this post: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-asuswrt-merlin-384-11-is-available.56501/post-497576 Do you have a custom firewall script? What do you have in services-start ?

I think this is a separate issue to your overnight reconnection problem though. When it happens again tonight save the entire log for us to look at.

P.S. Can you also set "Log only messages more urgent than" to All on the System Log - General Log page.
Yup...read that page and reads similar, but it appears the UI-based config option of starting VPN client at restart is working for him but with a delay. On my end it is not at all unless I initiate the session manually or maybe the cron job will do the trick. We will see. TBD.

Thanks. That looks OK.

The problem after the reboot is that the router is cancelling the queued VPN start:
Rich (BB code):
Sep  2 19:10:47 rc_service: ntpd_synced 984:notify_rc start_vpnclient1
Sep  2 19:10:47 rc_service: skip the event: stop_ntpd.
Sep  2 19:10:47 rc_service: wanduck 239:notify_rc start_ntpd
Sep  2 19:11:02 rc_service: skip the event: start_vpnclient1.
Sep  2 19:11:02 rc_service: skip the event: start_ntpd.

I don't know why it's doing that but it sounds the same as this post: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-asuswrt-merlin-384-11-is-available.56501/post-497576 Do you have a custom firewall script? What do you have in services-start ?

I think this is a separate issue to your overnight reconnection problem though. When it happens again tonight save the entire log for us to look at.

P.S. Can you also set "Log only messages more urgent than" to All on the System L
Forgot to respond to few questions you posed earlier.
- Yes, I have custom firewall script to block all known spam sources however I disabled that cron job for tonights reboot cycle.
- I have never modified service start so point me where to look and I will share info (will blank or rewrite pages related to any public ip or serial numbers alike...if it contains for ti me unknown reasons).

Forgot to respond to few questions you posed earlier.
- Yes, I have custom firewall script to block all known spam sources however I disabled that cron job for tonights reboot cycle.
- I have never modified service start so point me where to look and I will share info (will blank or rewrite pages related to any public ip or serial numbers alike...if it contains for ti me unknown reasons).
The bootup appears to be hanging on the firewall restart. Post the output of the following commands please. You can send them to me by private conversation if you prefer.
Code:
ls -l /jffs/scripts/ /jffs/configs/
cat /jffs/scripts/services-start
cat /jffs/scripts/firewall-start