What's new

How to block a URL ? Doesn't appear to be working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Everything goes through the VPN apart from my cable TV box and the Wii-U.

I guess I could exclude the Harmony hubs.

I can no longer launch the MyHarmony desktop app it comes up with a Server Error - Cross Domain Error so its obviously blocking something.

Thats verry stange... Another approach, we can setup firewall rules for outfoing traffic , but it needs to be on IP, so if we can obtain the list and also the mirrors...
And offcourse hope they don't change

Colin OK that makes sense I think. So the entries I have added in to my host file:

127.0.0.1 svcs.myharmony.com
127.0.0.1 content.dhg.myharmony.com
127.0.0.1 logging.dhg.myharmony.com
127.0.0.1 myharmony.com
127.0.0.1 sus.dhg.myharmony.com

So the Harmony hub should now not be able to access any of them right ?

It certainly seems to have stopped the MyHarmony desktop app from launching as it complains now with an error and mentions svcs.myharmony.com

Or would it be better to look at doing this in dnsmasq.conf ?

Just use IPTABLES to block the MAC address of the Harmony Hub from accessing the internet.

firewall-start

Code:
#!/bin/sh
FILENAME=`basename "$0"`

iptables=/usr/sbin/iptables

# create block chains
logger -t CustomScript:$FILENAME "Create BLK_INET chain."
$iptables -N BLK_INET

# block tv from accessing the internet
logger -t CustomScript:$FILENAME "Blocking <device> from accessing the internet."
$iptables -I BLK_INET -m mac --mac-source <INSERT MAC HERE> -j DROP

# jump BLK_INET chain
logger -t CustomScript:$FILENAME "Load BLK_INET chain."
$iptables -I FORWARD 1 -j BLK_INET
$iptables -I OUTPUT 1 -j BLK_INET

A small chunk of my firewall-start script.
I block my TV and Receiver from the internet. Both 2012 devices that really does not get updates anymore but I do use their features on the local LAN (DLNA, iTunes streaming). So just unplugging them is not an option.

The problem with blocking the Harmony Hub is you will not be able to update it. I have one. It REQUIRES the internet to make any changes. So just be aware of that.

Just replace the information inside the <> with your info.

And yes as someone already said. URL blocking now a days is kind of pointless with everything going HTTPS. At least without going to something much more advanced than a simple home router.

Last edited:
Just use IPTABLES to block the MAC address of the Harmony Hub from accessing the internet.
He could just use the option in the router's web interface to do that. Presumably he's having to use the convoluted hostname blocking because some sort of internet access is still required.