What's new

How to configure a Mesh + dedicated VPN Router in one subnet or?

• Thread starter Deleted member 72794
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 72794

My situation: I have a very good primary mesh router plus two repeaters in the mesh. It is running on 192.168.178.1. This router is not VPN client capable. Therefore I added a second Asus RT-AC68U router with Merlin firmware 384.19 in a separate subnet 192.168.179.1. On this router my VPN client is configured. The Asus is connected by LAN (first router) to WAN on Asus. My smart TV (Netflix!) is directly connected (wired) to the Asus router. The setup works. The only point is I have to keep the Wifi running on Asus to be able to reconfigure / change VPN server. I cannot reach it from primary router subnet.
Is there a way to make it visible on first subnet so I can switch off the WiFi on Asus? Or merge the subnets?

Are you using a different subnet for some specific reason? I would put them all on the same subnet.

Are you using a different subnet for some specific reason? I would put them all on the same subnet.

IIRC, the OpenVPN client is only bound to the WAN w/ Merlin. Not 100% positive, but I seem to recall that being the case.

My situation: I have a very good primary mesh router plus two repeaters in the mesh. It is running on 192.168.178.1. This router is not VPN client capable. Therefore I added a second Asus RT-AC68U router with Merlin firmware 384.19 in a separate subnet 192.168.179.1. On this router my VPN client is configured. The Asus is connected by LAN (first router) to WAN on Asus. My smart TV (Netflix!) is directly connected (wired) to the Asus router. The setup works. The only point is I have to keep the Wifi running on Asus to be able to reconfigure / change VPN server. I cannot reach it from primary router subnet.
Is there a way to make it visible on first subnet so I can switch off the WiFi on Asus? Or merge the subnets?

You could effectively disable the firewall on the WAN of the VPN router ...
Code:
WAN_IF="$(nvram get wan0_ifname)"
iptables -I INPUT -i $WAN_IF -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i $WAN_IF -j ACCEPT

... then establish a static route on the primary router that points to the VPN router's WAN ip as the gateway to the network behind it.