What's new

How to configure Samba Share on RT-N66U...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OSX specific setup for AC68U

I just purchased the AC68U and I'm attempting to setup the USB drive sharing on my Macbook Pro. I can't seem to find any Mac specific instructions and I've tried many various configurations in the UI. I've enabled sharing, then enabled open access, no luck. Turned off open access, set up a test account and gave permissions to all folders of the shared drive. no luck. I found a youtube Vide posted by Asus on how to set up a Samba share on Mac, but it has no audio, the video isn't very clear as to what exactly they are doing, and it still doesn't relate it back to the AC68U.

Whenever I try to add a network share to Finder using "Finder >> Go >> Connect to Server... I just get error messages.

Can anyone point to more Mac centric instructions for setting up File and Printer sharing (Printer sharing didn't work either).

I just purchased the AC68U and I'm attempting to setup the USB drive sharing on my Macbook Pro. I can't seem to find any Mac specific instructions and I've tried many various configurations in the UI. I've enabled sharing, then enabled open access, no luck. Turned off open access, set up a test account and gave permissions to all folders of the shared drive. no luck. I found a youtube Vide posted by Asus on how to set up a Samba share on Mac, but it has no audio, the video isn't very clear as to what exactly they are doing, and it still doesn't relate it back to the AC68U.

Whenever I try to add a network share to Finder using "Finder >> Go >> Connect to Server... I just get error messages.

Can anyone point to more Mac centric instructions for setting up File and Printer sharing (Printer sharing didn't work either).
On Mac, just press CMD+K and then enter "smb://ROUTER-ADDRESS". Then enter username/password if you disabled Guest access. This part does not work for me on either MAC or Windows or tablet...

When you disabled Guest access - create a new user/password same as your windows login and it should work. That was how I was able to map to my 1TB WD attached to the router as I was unable to login with admin or any other user expect the same as my PC login details

When you disabled Guest access - create a new user/password same as your windows login and it should work. That was how I was able to map to my 1TB WD attached to the router as I was unable to login with admin or any other user expect the same as my PC login details

I did that. Initially I was trying to use built in admin account and that did not work. Then I tried with newly created account. That did not working either...

I did that. Initially I was trying to use built in admin account and that did not work. Then I tried with newly created account. That did not working either...

Is the newly created account same as your windows login. is should be same username/password as you use on your pc

I know this is an old thread but I hope someone is still listening. I am having very similar problem with DSL-N66U (fw 1.0.7.7) however I think this might be a firmware issue. I have created several users in my Samba shares but am only able to login to the share with the Admin user. Funny enough if I try to login with any other user more than the set number of tries it is the Admin account that gets locked out! Also looking at the user status in AiCloud > Settings only the admin account is listed.

Does anyone else have this experience and if so found any solution ?

I know this is an old thread but I hope someone is still listening. I am having very similar problem with DSL-N66U (fw 1.0.7.7) however I think this might be a firmware issue. I have created several users in my Samba shares but am only able to login to the share with the Admin user. Funny enough if I try to login with any other user more than the set number of tries it is the Admin account that gets locked out! Also looking at the user status in AiCloud > Settings only the admin account is listed.

Does anyone else have this experience and if so found any solution ?

I did not find any fix and then switched to tomato...I now have my samba shares on the usb harddrives working as I want...

Sometimes you need to enable the "SMB signing" features manually in the smb.conf. Your work computer is a terrible system to test with as your company will likely enforce certain settings. But a personal PC can be tweaked.

I don't know the defaults for a ASUS router, but my qnap nas had smb signing disabled - which prevented my Windows client from connecting to it (which required SMB signing). Once I edited the smb.conf file (and maybe restarted it) smb access worked fine.

Samba smb.conf info

You might want to be concerned over the level of security for your new smb share design, as it is likely not very good. (since you apepar to be concerned about such things) Also, I've seen @rmerlin indicate that the Samba version is VERY outdated and hence extremely vulnerable to attack. SO there is also that point to consider.

Last edited:
I too was just trying to activate samba sharing on my N66U.

I discovered that with my router admin password containing some non-typical symbols (they're not anything weird, they're on the keyboard but not used very often), I was unable to login.

If I make another account, using the same password with the same character results in the same problem.

Taking out the character results in it working fine.

In the end, I wanted to share files on the root of the USB drive, which are not accessible with samba sharing =(

Waylo, thanks for this info. It was the special characters in my password that prevented me from being able to login to my shares. Everything works fine now.