What's new

How to configure the other routers access point to have the best wifi?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mark777

Occasional Visitor
I have three routers, one of them is the main router and the other two I have configured to use them as access points. They are working prety well and I have wifi in all my house and the acces points give the full speed that the ISP provides so everything is very good when I use wifi.
However i want to know a couple of things. I have put in the SSID the same name and the same password for all routers. At the begining they had different name password but I wanted that when I move from one part of the house to another one not to change manyally which router to use but to be made automatically by the phone or computer (I believe the dveices choose themselve which is the best strongest wifi, right?).
I am not sure but I believe that I have read in internet that when you configure a router as an access point is better to put a Default Gateway IP that is as much far in numbers from the main router (probaably when use have choosed for all routers to have same name password). Example; main router IP 192.168.1.1, access point router 192.168.1.253 (it will work even with 192.168.1.2 or .50 .150 but the configuration with .253 is better). Is it like this? If yes how about three routers should they have this IP; 1-main router 192.168.1.1 2-access point router 192.168.1.127 3- access point router 192.168.1.253? Or if they where four router should it be .1 .85 .169 .253? Does it work like this every router to be as much far from the other? Any thing else for the configuration to have the best wifi service from the main router and acces points when you move in all house and wifi routers do the work themselve (having same name password) to have the best wifi?

The mobile WiFi devices (clients) cling to the access point they're connected to until it becomes so weak as to be useless. Then they search for another AP to connect to. I have tried what you have in my house and it was unsatisfactory. The best you can hope for is to find AP's that have a "roaming assist" function that disconnects the client when their signal reaches a low level. I used Asus routers with Merlin firmware which has this function. It was better but still less than optimum. I wound up putting a TP Link EAP225v3 in the middle of the house and so far, so good.

The mobile WiFi devices (clients) cling to the access point they're connected to until it becomes so weak as to be useless. Then they search for another AP to connect to. I have tried what you have in my house and it was unsatisfactory. The best you can hope for is to find AP's that have a "roaming assist" function that disconnects the client when their signal reaches a low level. I used Asus routers with Merlin firmware which has this function. It was better but still less than optimum. I wound up putting a TP Link EAP225v3 in the middle of the house and so far, so good.
Where can I check if it has this option, in their web interface where you can login and If it is there in which sections?