What's new

How to connect outside antenna to RT-AC68u?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Richard Chalk

New Around Here
I would like to have an outside directional antenna to improve WiFi coverage at a boat dock about 100 Ft. from the house. I would also like to take advantage of Asus AiMesh capability, so the router would be in node configuration. Can anyone tell me if it matters which antenna connector I use for the external antenna, and will it improve signal if the other antennas are on, or removed?

Thanks,

I'm no expert but from reading on this site you should NOT run a router without antennas connected. The antenna circuit needs some resistance otherwise it can be damaged.

My thoughts with using a directional antenna would be that you don't have another directional antenna at the other end. The device you're using on the dock may have a hard time transmitting back to the directional antenna.

Antennas work in BOTH directions, so it helps to use directional antennas even on one side (both will double the effect).
Take any of the 3 antennas for it and let the other 2 mounted (for devices nearby). Not good idea to run without antennas, as output driver may get demaged soon.
Beamforming may better be turnd off 2.4 and 5GHz as it is supposed to have all 3 original antennas mouted.
But I dont know this for sure, maybe it will work a little bit with remaining 2 antennas too.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!