What's new

How to disable IPv6 DNS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

asdfljkadsflkjasdf

Occasional Visitor
Windows 10 prefers IPv6 DNS over IPv4 DNS. I don't trust my ISP's IPv6 DNS and the rtt to Google DNS over IPv6 is 6x the rtt over IPv4. So I just want to use OpenDNS and Google Public DNS over IPv4. How can I achieve this?

Under "IPv6 DNS Setting - Connect to DNS Server automatically", if yes the router advertises itself as a DNS resolver, if no I have to set an IPv6 DNS. What if I don't want the clients to use an IPv6 DNS?

Does "Connect to DNS Server automatically" mean that asuswrt router serves as a DNS forwarder and forward DNS queries to IPv6 DNS advertised by ISP? In the web interface, I am not seeing 1) WAN interface IPv6 address 2) IPv6 DNS server advertised by ISP

Last edited:
With "IPv6 - Connect to DNS Server automatically" set to disabled and manually configured IPv6 DNS, the clients are still using asuswrt as IPv6 DNS server... Is this a bug?

With "IPv6 - Connect to DNS Server automatically" set to disabled and manually configured IPv6 DNS, the clients are still using asuswrt as IPv6 DNS server... Is this a bug?

Check your LAN - DHCP setting;
Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS

Set this to No to stop your clients using the router's DNS.

i do this on edgerouter lite, dont think there is setting in asuswrt or merlin for it

but what i do on my router is i go into the interfaces running dhcpv6-pd, then open the dhcpv6-pd settings

essentially i have a pd called "0" the only interface within this pd is "switch0" so i have the no-dns setting enabled for switch0

i would be suprised if you can do this on asuswrt or melins version

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!